Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hR General Discussion Forums > Apache Off Topic Tribe

Old 11-30-2011, 03:39 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolla Bill View Post
I kind of like not knowing, and following along with the show's reasoning behind the virus outbreak. IMO, the audience is Rick. He woke up, not knowing what is going on, and we're learning it as he is.

Some people know what has been going on, and they don't blurt it all out at once. Some people have perversions of their own nature, and that complicates the idea of humanity vs. zombies. I do have some small gripes with the show, but its still a great damn show.
i get that, and I kinda like it too...but 13 episodes in and several weeks or months of story line and no one had a damn conversation with Rick about what the world went through when he was in a coma....i mean come on

http://www.hailredskins.com/vbforum/...light=shanahan

Old 11-30-2011, 03:59 PM
Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYSkinFan View Post
i get that, and I kinda like it too...but 13 episodes in and several weeks or months of story line and no one had a damn conversation with Rick about what the world went through when he was in a coma....i mean come on
**Season 1 Spoiler**

I imagine in the heat of everything going on there just isn't much to wonder. If the virus went global in 69 days it's probable that anyone who knew about the origins were already dead or turned. I think Rick leading the group to the CDC in season 1 was in an effort to find answers for origins or treatment. And then... well you saw what happened.

Introducing new characters to the story could lead to more details about the origins.. but at that point it's all hearsay. Maybe Rick hasn't asked what happened while he was in a coma because it doesn't matter to the current state of events. His focus has to be on where the group is now and where it needs to be headed. This could explain why hasn't mentioned anything to Shane about knowing what happened between him and Lori.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:59 PM

Although, this series hasn't shown walkers coming out of their graves, I think it is a given in the zombie genre that the infection is airborne, as well as through bodily fluid exposure.

There are no mistakes, just happy accidents.
-- Bob Ross

Old 11-30-2011, 10:58 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskin_rich View Post
Although, this series hasn't shown walkers coming out of their graves, I think it is a given in the zombie genre that the infection is airborne, as well as through bodily fluid exposure.
i thought about that but in season 1 when the camp was attacked Glen made it very clear he wanted the non infected people burried and not burned. Perhaps it was with a bullet in the head, who knows.

http://www.hailredskins.com/vbforum/...light=shanahan

Old 11-30-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYSkinFan View Post
i thought about that but in season 1 when the camp was attacked Glen made it very clear he wanted the non infected people burried and not burned. Perhaps it was with a bullet in the head, who knows.
The Walking Dead series has kept details more vague than just about every zombie book, movie, show has in my experience as a fan of the genre. As a fan of the genre, I know that anyone who dies naturally or by zombie attack, needs to be treated the same... put to rest with severe cranial damage.

I like the way the Walking Dead has dealt with things based on a survivor basis. The way it is being done, the writers haven't trapped themselves into predictable outcomes. I'm sure the military or whats left of it will make an appearance at some point. And as in most Armageddon stories, the military will probably be more of a problem to the survivors than the walkers.

-- Bob Ross

Old 12-01-2011, 12:11 AM
Healer

Quote:
I like the way the Walking Dead has dealt with things based on a survivor basis. The way it is being done, the writers haven't trapped themselves into predictable outcomes. I'm sure the military or whats left of it will make an appearance at some point. And as in most Armageddon stories, the military will probably be more of a problem to the survivors than the walkers.
That'll be very interesting. Or even just running into another group that's gone hostile. What's nice is that they made a point to not refer to walkers as zombies for a reason. They said on Talking Dead that they didn't want the characters referencing other zombie stories, plots, or what not as it could get really cheesy quick.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:15 AM
Healer

Quote:
Is airborne infection common in the genre? I thought it was mainly through body fluid exchange/biting. If the infection was airborne in Walking Dead, then shouldn't all of the survivors be immune even when bitten?

Old 12-01-2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guess88 View Post
Is airborne infection common in the genre? I thought it was mainly through body fluid exchange/biting. If the infection was airborne in Walking Dead, then shouldn't all of the survivors be immune even when bitten?
Typically, it's an infection that doesn't manifest until death. So, it's like an unknown herpes but when bitten by an infected, the death process accelerates.

-- Bob Ross

Old 12-01-2011, 12:37 AM
Healer

Quote:
Typically, it's an infection that doesn't manifest until death. So, it's like an unknown herpes but when bitten by an infected, the death process accelerates.
Fascinating. With that logic, the infection could've been spread way before there were any cases of it. So even if they could trace the first instance of the infection, there's no way they could find the initial source.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guess88 View Post
Fascinating. With that logic, the infection could've been spread way before there were any cases of it. So even if they could trace the first instance of the infection, there's no way they could find the initial source.
I have no idea where this series will go as far as that but in most stories and movies it roots to a singular source (rarely explained and when it is, it is disappointing like some ancient, infected human or alien dug out of ice) but in all cases, it is not contained and proves to be highly infective, usually infecting over 95% of all major populated areas within a month or two.

If you really want to read a series that you will not be able to put down, check out J L Bourne's, Day By Day Apocalypse.
http://jlbourne.com/

It is written from a military man's journal perspective. Two books and the third should be out soon.

-- Bob Ross

Old 12-01-2011, 02:39 AM
Healer

Quote:
I have no idea where this series will go as far as that but in most stories and movies it roots to a singular source (rarely explained and when it is, it is disappointing like some ancient, infected human or alien dug out of ice) but in all cases, it is not contained and proves to be highly infective, usually infecting over 95% of all major populated areas within a month or two.

If you really want to read a series that you will not be able to put down, check out J L Bourne's, Day By Day Apocalypse.

It is written from a military man's journal perspective. Two books and the third should be out soon.
Just ordered it. I might be starting a zombie t-shirt line with a friend, so this will be great inspiration.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:17 AM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:

World War Z is another great one.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:04 AM
Medicine Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhhorus View Post
World War Z is another great one.
They turned that into a movie staring Brad Pitt.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816711/

Deeds, not Words

Old 12-01-2011, 10:13 AM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicefellow31 View Post
They turned that into a movie staring Brad Pitt.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816711/
Yeah, I don't know how they're going to be able to do that without stripping out half the stories.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Healer

Quote:

So yeah, this book is fantastic! Thanks again for the heads up.