Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hR General Sports Fan Forums > Sioux General Sports Tribe

US Women's World Cup Thread
Old 07-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Spirit

Default US Women's World Cup Thread

Not sure if anyone saw it, but it might have been one of the best games I've ever seen. Ever.

Brazil commits and own-goal in the 2nd minute. In the 66, the ref red cards our defender in the box on a stupid penalty. Hope Solo saves the PK, and play begins, but then the ref rules it to be retaken (encroachment), but Solo gets a card for something. 1-1. A minute into extra time, Miss flops-a-lot Marta scores to go up 2-1. A brazil defender fakes an injury for 4 minutes, gets a stretcher off, and then hits the ground and runs back to the field proving she faked it.

In the extra time created by the faked injury, we put a perfect cross into the box and Wambach heads it home over a defender and the keeper. In the 123rd minute.

Women take it on PKs, Solo makes another beast of a stop. Sent those turds back to Rio.

Go USA. Helluva comeback.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Healer

The semi against France will be nice then

Old 07-10-2011, 03:22 PM
hR Staff Writer

One of the more amazing/dramatic games I've ever seen. The whole crowd seemed to be chanting "USA USA" towards the end. Brazil's performance throughout the game was disgraceful.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:50 PM
Healer

The german public seems to be very fair-play during this WC. Yesterday for the France-England ame, they were pushing for the french in the extra-time (I've not seen the regular time) as "les bleues" where the one trying to play a nice football game while the english were relying on a strong defense and a very direct game (+ couple of moves to lose time).

Old 07-10-2011, 04:19 PM
Healer

Move along - nothing to see here...

Old 07-10-2011, 04:48 PM

Location: Lawn Guyland, NY (my heart will always be in Arlington, Va)

Nice to see the women got the same treatment the men usually get in international tourneys. A card was warranted for the jersey hold and maybe a PK but a red card was absurd there. Nice to see, much like the Donovan goal in the WC, the ladies found a way to make it into a glorious win. It was actually quite similar in that they went from end to end to complete the goal. Hope Solo rocks. I wish the men could find a coach who knows how to tweak their line up the way Pia does for the women.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:05 PM
Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinsDave View Post
Nice to see the women got the same treatment the men usually get in international tourneys. A card was warranted for the jersey hold and maybe a PK but a red card was absurd there. Nice to see, much like the Donovan goal in the WC, the ladies found a way to make it into a glorious win. It was actually quite similar in that they went from end to end to complete the goal. Hope Solo rocks. I wish the men could find a coach who knows how to tweak their line up the way Pia does for the women.
Bob Bradley sucks.

back on topic: I think the penalty was still soft. Marta left her feet on her own and both were airborne for the ball. The jersey hold didn't affect the play much at all. I think it's two people playing a 50/50 ball. No malice, and I'd call no foul.

As far as the equalizer, that cross could not have been any better. Wambach scored, and got a great head to it, but that cross was unreal, expecially coming after two hours and one hour down a man. Legs are dead at that point. A fraction lower and we're going home.

I like it even more that it came during the stoppage time for that BS injury. If she doesn't roll around, we likely lose. She helped give us the chance to tie it. It's nice to see that kind of pitiful behavior cost somebody.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:08 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsKY View Post
Bob Bradley is on thin ice reportedly.
FFY.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:16 PM
Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhhorus View Post
FFY.
Couldn't happen soon enough. I'm tired of watching us make countries like Panama look like world powers.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:18 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Couldn't happen soon enough. I'm tired of watching us make countries like Panama look like world powers.
Won't make a difference imo if USSF only wants to hire American coaches.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:00 PM

Visually, can anyone tell the difference between the men's and women's teams from Brazil? They all look like trannies.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:13 PM
Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhhorus View Post
Won't make a difference imo if USSF only wants to hire American coaches.
True. Gulati isn't far under Bradley on the crap list. Goal.com is linking Rafa with the spot, but I'd take just about anyone at this point.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
True. Gulati isn't far under Bradley on the crap list. Goal.com is linking Rafa with the spot, but I'd take just about anyone at this point.
I would love Rafa but I don't see it. Of course they would have to groom his successor since he doesn't like to hang around very long.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:06 PM
Spirit

Quote:
I would love Rafa but I don't see it. Of course they would have to groom his successor since he doesn't like to hang around very long.
yeah, three years until the cup is a long time for someone like Rafa. I'd just like to see ussf make a tough decision instead of letting mediocrity persist.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:07 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Quote:
+1 to both. What they really need is a guy who can drag US soccer into the 21st century and stop relying on the 4-4-2.