Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hR Archives and Help Desk > Archive Forum

Old 10-23-2011, 05:59 PM
Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by colkurtz View Post
We team Shanny/Allen started with was a total backet case. TRaded draft picks to get old guys. Micro-managing owner without a clue. No real stars who weren't WAY past their prime. 2 years of amateur hour coaching - and a HC who keep the vets in - just to spite the owner and his worst GM of all time lackey. Zorn thought it more important to have loyalty to the vets then to develop new talent.

WE lost today but had just 3 penalties. Until the last INT, Beck was having an above average game. I'm convinced the team will draft a qB and try to build around him. This team has to keep changing and improving in the draft. The question is whether we fire EVERYONE in the FO again or try to let them build on what they have.
Shanahan traded four draft choices for Jamaal Brown and Donovan McNabb, neither would be considered young. He has played Joey Galloway, Jabar Gaffeny, Donte Stallworth and Roydell Williams over younger guys at the wide receiver position. I'm not seeing much of a difference.

Hi! My name is Salvatore

Old 10-23-2011, 06:09 PM
Shaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavar703 View Post
Shanahan traded four draft choices for Jamaal Brown and Donovan McNabb, neither would be considered young. He has played Joey Galloway, Jabar Gaffeny, Donte Stallworth and Roydell Williams over younger guys at the wide receiver position. I'm not seeing much of a difference.
+1 the Shanny's have made some bad decisions.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:16 PM
Spirit

Quote:
I'm not here to defend every boneheaded move Shannihan / Allen make. For their mistakes they had a good draft and FA. McKnabb fooled us and the Vikings and most of the NFL "experts" for the last two years. Stallworth didn't play today and as the day progressed AND we needed big plays to win they brought in Paul, Austin, Hankerson. I hope Gaffeny gets the hook next. We had no Moss (#1 Wr), Hightower (#1 RB), left side of OL gone. Brand new QB.

Frankly I'm a lot more worried about the defense and why they're sucking it so bad. We simply can't use another draft simply for the defense. We need a real QB and #1 WR.

You simply can't replace every single position in one year or even two.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:19 PM
Warrior

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunBunch5 View Post
The defense and coaching were the problem today. Going for it on 4th down at mid field to start the half IMO changed the momentum. The defense crapping the bed didn't help.
I agree entirely. Our D was totally bland and Cam shredded it time & time again hitting Ole Reliable aka Steve Smith.

BLAND DEFENSE + CAM + S. SMITH = BAD NEWS

Honestly I think we need to kick Haslett to the curb this off-season-.....

Old 10-23-2011, 06:25 PM
Spirit

Quote:
I'm not here to defend every boneheaded move Shannihan / Allen make. For their mistakes they had a good draft and FA. McKnabb fooled us and the Vikings and most of the NFL "experts" for the last two years. Stallworth didn't play today and as the day progressed AND we needed big plays to win they brought in Paul, Austin, Hankerson. I hope Gaffeny gets the hook next. We had no Moss (#1 Wr), Hightower (#1 RB), left side of OL gone. Brand new QB.

Frankly I'm a lot more worried about the defense and why they're sucking it so bad. We simply can't use another draft simply for the defense. We need a real QB and #1 WR.

They chose to spend nearly half of out 12 draft choices on RB and WR when we needed depth and talent infused into the OL. I was all for the Allen/Shanahan combo until this past draft, it was unbelievable the way they basically threw draft choices away. I'm starting to question them not because of our record because I knew how little depth and talent we had after the Cerrato debacle but because of the way they spent there draft choices.

Hi! My name is Salvatore

Old 10-23-2011, 07:14 PM
Spirit

Quote:
They chose to spend nearly half of out 12 draft choices on RB and WR when we needed depth and talent infused into the OL. I was all for the Allen/Shanahan combo until this past draft, it was unbelievable the way they basically threw draft choices away. I'm starting to question them not because of our record because I knew how little depth and talent we had after the Cerrato debacle but because of the way they spent there draft choices.
You may be right. Picking a college draft pick is something like a 33% chance of success for Draft Picks Level 1 and 2 Obviously a know-nothing like Cerratto keeps the percentages down. Once into the third round and below you're into 'highly unlikely' success level. What's my point? - It takes a couple years of good drafting to get to the elite. Oh yeah, and having a freakin' top 5 QB for a decade or so. Did the Colts suddenly become terrible and their coaches a bunch of idiots? No they lost their HOF QB to neck surgery.

This team ran well in the first half and Beck was throwing well in the second half. So I don't see the OL as a HUGE problem - Beck ran out of danger. Our Defense is melting down - we're not going to win many when the d gives up 30 pts. Until we get our own franchise QB.........and a couple good OL picks.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:32 PM
Sachem

Quote:

We have too many needs elsewhere to spend our first-rounder on a WR. And WR is too much of a hit-and-miss position, more so than other positions, for us to expend our top pick there. While I agree with you that it is a glaring hole on offense right now, I think our future #1 guy is already on the roster. More importantly, I think that the FO thinks that he is already on the roster. Candidates are:
Leonard Hankerson-has all of the tools to be a #1 WR in the NFL. Size, speed, hands, ability to run routes. His problem is that he is not polished and he is not consistent. He needs considerable reps and maybe some football maturity to get it done. This week's INT is an example of the kind of growing pains we will have to endure to some degree with Hankerson. But all accounts are that he is personally mature, works hard in practice and is willing to pay the price to be great. The coaches see that, so they are confident that he will not be a bust. . He supposedly has made huge strides in practice lately, which is why he was activated last week instead of Stallworth.
Niles Paul-like Hankerson, has the ability, size and speed to be a #1 NFL WR. He has been ahead of Hankerson due to his being more football-mature, and he made his first two receptions yesterday. He also seems to have the "want-to" to maximize his talent.
Anthony Armstrong-has been a zero this year, and still has some inconsistency in his hands, but he has blazing speed and enough size. He broke through last year with almost 1,000 yards despite not starting right away. If healthy and given the opportunity, I look for him to start putting up similar numbers now that Moss is out. That is, if Beck can get him the ball down the field.
Terrence Austin-I really like this guy. He runs precise routes, has good (not great) speed, and I think he just gets it. Beck and he supposedly have good chemistry from their practice sessions, and I will look to see if he can establish himself as an NFL WR the way Armstrong did last year. Austin does not have prototypical size for a #1 receiver. But neither does the Panthers' Steve Smith or the Iggles' DeSean Jackson.

As far as last year's draft is concerned, we should not forget that we had 5 guys from last year's practice squad make the team in 2011. We already have brought up Maurice Hurt, who may or may not be a keeper. While it is fair to criticize Shanahan for drafting so many WRs and RB, one more each than we needed on the roster given our other moves, it will sure be nice to activate Evan Royster tomorrow when we place Hightower on injured reserve. Ditto with Aldrick Robinson if Moss has to go down for the year.

Wilson had a bad game yesterday, as did Barnes and Landry. But I would not overreact and say we have to draft a whole new secondary based on one game. I think our primary needs next year are:

QB, C, OG, CB, ILB (if Fletcher and McIntosh leave in free agency), backup/future RT. The top two needs are urgent. We may have to wait until the 2013 draft to upgrade CB, unless we trade down in round 1. I have a hunch that Shanahan will become infatuated with one of the 2nd-tier prospects in the draft who will be available in round 2 or 3. That could free up our #1 for a CB, but I think C (Mike Brewster seems to be the only center at this point to be considered worthy of a top 40 pick) has to be a top priority if there is a blue- or red-chipper available.