Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Chris Cooley addresses fans
Old 11-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Great Spirit

Default Chris Cooley addresses fans

LINK

Quote:
"Our fan base hates our owner. Because he can't ever keep a coach, he'll never keep players, he'l never keep guys around. He changes it. It's like a fantasy football team to him.

"But then everyone calls in and says we gotta get rid of Kyle Shanahan, we gotta get rid of Mike Shanahan. We gotta get rid of these players, we gotta trade Chris Cooley.

"So you criticize Dan Snyder for trading coaches and players every year and trying to do things every year and then you call and say this is what we gotta do. I hate it. What we gotta do is keep consistency over a period of time and continue to try and build under Mike Shanahan who knows football and knows players."

Old 11-02-2011, 09:52 AM
hR Staff Writer

the consistency argument only works if there is progression. Only Dick Vermeil succeeded in losing his first two years and the n winning in his third and that was only because of a lucky aquisition of Kurt Warner,

If you look at Detroit, Atlanta, and Tampa and how they rebuilt their franchises they started with a qb they could build around. They started by giving up on the first year and not trading away draft picks for older players. They started by playing youth over vets whenever possible.

I dont see that happening this time around.

http://www.hailredskins.com/vbforum/...light=shanahan

Old 11-02-2011, 10:06 AM

I saw this yesterday and thought, well Chris, I tend to agree with you but Kyle has to go. And I would have traded your ass 2 years ago when you actually had some trade value. I also thought, based on the photo attached, that maybe Chris ought to shave his cheesy mustache as the Ron Burgundy look doesn't compliment him at all.
Just so I don't forget, I intend to remind the above poster about this quote.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:35 AM
hR Staff Writer

A recommendation for all NFL players: don't address the fans, and certainly don't use specifics.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Code Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYSkinFan View Post
the consistency argument only works if there is progression. Only Dick Vermeil succeeded in losing his first two years and the n winning in his third and that was only because of a lucky aquisition of Kurt Warner,
If you look at Detroit, Atlanta, and Tampa and how they rebuilt their franchises they started with a qb they could build around. They started by giving up on the first year and not trading away draft picks for older players. They started by playing youth over vets whenever possible.

I dont see that happening this time around.
Not to get into symantics here, but I have to disagree with you on the bolded part of your post. Kurt was definitely part of it, but Trent Green was no slouch. The Rams had built a team with some talented players above and beyond the QB position. Marshall Faulk, Isaac Bruce, Tory Holt, Az Hakim blah blah, good OL. The D was 7th in the league that year anchored at LB by our own London Fletcher. They might not have won the SB without Kurt, but they definitely would have been playoff bound and a contender.

Outside of that I agree with your point. I was and still like Mike Shanahan. However, I don't like nepotism and I am now on your bandwagon that Mike needs to go if he is not going to get rid of Kyle. All I have to say is 8 rushes vs one of the worst defenses. They teed off on our QB because they new we weren't going to run the ball. Kyle needs to go and if Mike doesn't do it at the end of the year then Mike needs to go as well.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:41 AM
Code Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keino View Post
I saw this yesterday and thought, well Chris, I tend to agree with you but Kyle has to go. And I would have traded your ass 2 years ago when you actually had some trade value. I also thought, based on the photo attached, that maybe Chris ought to shave his cheesy mustache as the Ron Burgundy look doesn't compliment him at all.
+1 on all of this.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhhorus View Post
A recommendation for all NFL players: don't address the fans, and certainly don't use specifics.
You think this hurts Cooley? For a guy potentially facing a "should we cut/trade him?" situation I think coming out in support of the franchise and HC is a great move. Being a company man right now is in Cooley's best interests if he wants to remain in D.C.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Medicine Man

Everything this organization has done recently has been wrong. Hire a college football legend, bring back a NFL legend, hire a so called wunderkid co-ordinator as head coach, hire another NFL legend, make a big splash in free agency, make a moderate splash in free agency, stay out of free agency, medlesome owner, laid back owner, trade down with high draft picks, hold on to our high draft pick, trade for vets..................none of it has worked. I think we as fans (I know I am) are just puzzled right now and grasping for straws just like the Skins.

Deeds, not Words

Old 11-02-2011, 10:51 AM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_junior View Post
You think this hurts Cooley? For a guy potentially facing a "should we cut/trade him?" situation I think coming out in support of the franchise and HC is a great move. Being a company man right now is in Cooley's best interests if he wants to remain in D.C.
Clearly, he's trying to forge a better relationship with the Shanaclan at the expense of the fans. There's no upside for any NFL player to do something like this though. Even if he buys himself another year with the skins, if the skins keep sinking into the mire of the 2011 season, he looks like an ass.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
And maybe stop listening to angry calls from fans into sportstalk radio....
Just so I don't forget, I intend to remind the above poster about this quote.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Clearly, he's trying to forge a better relationship with the Shanaclan at the expense of the fans. There's no upside for any NFL player to do something like this though. Even if he buys himself another year with the skins, if the skins keep sinking into the mire of the 2011 season, he looks like an ass.
His complaint is with the knee-jerk, 'talk radio idiots' segment of the fan base. I don't think this hurts him big picture-wise.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:03 AM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keino View Post
And maybe stop listening to angry calls from fans into sportstalk radio....
+1. Just ignore the fans all together. If you want to make a comment, talk about how "we're working hard to keep this from happening again." Or just shut up lol

Quote:
His complaint is with the knee-jerk, 'talk radio idiots' segment of the fan base. I don't think this hurts him big picture-wise.
The problem is if the skins' offense continues to suck, Cooley looks like an idiot. And how much time could apple polishing actually buy him in DC?

Old 11-02-2011, 11:10 AM
Great Spirit

Quote:
The problem is if the skins' offense continues to suck, Cooley looks like an idiot. And how much time could apple polishing actually buy him in DC?
I think we all know apple polishing isn't going to buy him any time in DC. If it's time for him to go, it's time for him to go. I just don't think these comments hurt him at all.

If the offense continues to suck he's a sadly misguided player, loyal to his coaches and teammates to the end. House will be cleaned and none of this will be remembered.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:11 AM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
I think we all know apple polishing isn't going to buy him any time in DC. If it's time for him to go, it's time for him to go. I just don't think these comments hurt him at all.

If the offense continues to suck he's a sadly misguided player, loyal to his coaches and teammates to the end. House will be cleaned and none of this will be remembered.
He'll be remembered for running his mouth in his last year in DC if that was the case. Talking about how this was the best team he's ever been on, ripping Romo and ripping the fans...thats what will stick in people's memories about him.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:11 AM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
+1. Just ignore the fans all together. If you want to make a comment, talk about how "we're working hard to keep this from happening again." Or just shut up lol

ask Uncle Daniels

http://www.hailredskins.com/vbforum/...light=shanahan