Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Numbers Game at Wide Receiver
Old 12-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Brave

Default Numbers Game at Wide Receiver

The next game and certainly next season will be interesting at the WR position. For the next game there are 8 WR's to choose from - Gaffney, Moss, Armstrong, Austin, Paul, Robinson, Banks, Stallworth, and Anderson. Add Hankerson for next season. Who will play the next game? I certainly would like to see Robinson, as a WR and returner. I think Anderson and Stallworth will sit, and possibly Banks. Next season a free agent or draft pick will further add to the confusion (I think it's clear Anderson will be dropped, and most likely Stallworth).

Old 12-27-2011, 04:34 PM
hR Staff Writer

don't forget a few other 30+ year old wrs we just cant say no to

http://www.hailredskins.com/vbforum/...light=shanahan

Old 12-27-2011, 04:35 PM
Medicine Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCSKINSFAN View Post
The next game and certainly next season will be interesting at the WR position. For the next game there are 8 WR's to choose from - Gaffney, Moss, Armstrong, Austin, Paul, Robinson, Banks, Stallworth, and Anderson. Add Hankerson for next season. Who will play the next game? I certainly would like to see Robinson, as a WR and returner. I think Anderson and Stallworth will sit, and possibly Banks. Next season a free agent or draft pick will further add to the confusion (I think it's clear Anderson will be dropped, and most likely Stallworth).
Shanahan has to decide if he wants to go in a win now, or rebuild direction. A lot of roster spots were used to fill this position to accommodate both directions this season, I don't think he should do this 2 years in a row.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:40 PM
Spirit

Staying
Gaffeny
Hankerson
Moss
Paul
Robinson

Leaving
Armstrong
Austin
Banks
Stallworth
Anderson

Just my opinion

Kurtis Drummond for 2015

Hi! My name is Salvatore

Old 12-27-2011, 04:49 PM
Medicine Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavar703 View Post
Staying
Gaffeny
Hankerson
Moss
Paul
Robinson

Leaving
Armstrong
Austin
Banks
Stallworth
Anderson

Just my opinion
Moss and Gaffney will hold you over, but you're relying heavily on Hankerson's return. It might work if we're still strong at TE but its a gamble with Paul and Robinson staying IMO.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:50 PM
Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanouel8 View Post
Moss and Gaffney will hold you over, but you're relying heavily on Hankerson's return. It might work if we're still strong at TE but its a gamble with Paul and Robinson staying IMO.
It's just the guys that I think will make it back to the team and survive training camp. I'm not considering the draft or any free agent pick-ups. Just guys on our roster currently.

Kurtis Drummond for 2015

Hi! My name is Salvatore

Old 12-27-2011, 05:20 PM
Chief

i hope we don't go out and get some vet wr that will break the bank.i'm all for getting a rookie in the 2012 draft and ps him awhile.

But as sure as God made black and white what's done in the dark will be brought to the light"

“If you want to walk the heavenly streets of gold, you gotta know the password, “Roll, Tide, Roll!”

Paul"Bear"Bryant

Old 12-27-2011, 05:58 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Staying
Gaffeny
Hankerson
Moss
Paul
Robinson

Leaving
Armstrong
Austin
Banks
Stallworth
Anderson

Just my opinion
I like these picks. I feel if Hankerson doesn't know any progression or recovery, he will just be sent to the practice squad for now until he heals correctly. Robinson will probably spend another year on the practice squad pending how well he does next week. Hopefully we pick up a nice FA WR in the offseason or a true potential #1 WR.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:00 PM
Warrior

Arrow

Quote:
Staying
Gaffeny
Hankerson
Moss
Paul
Robinson

Leaving
Armstrong
Austin
Banks
Stallworth
Anderson

Just my opinion
I personally would let Gaffeny walk-and keep Armstrong. Armstrong suffers from the lack of a true deep passing game. Gaffeny should fight for a roster spot in the off-season.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:24 PM
Chief

Gaffney, Moss, Hankerson, Paul, Stallworth, Banks.

This team has needed a stud WR for years but given other needs I'm not sure we get one in next year's draft either.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:36 PM
Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death_Venom View Post
I personally would let Gaffeny walk-and keep Armstrong. Armstrong suffers from the lack of a true deep passing game. Gaffeny should fight for a roster spot in the off-season.
Gaffeny has been the most consistent receiver on the team, there's no way I let him walk especially with a young QB coming in who would need someone like that in my opinion.

Kurtis Drummond for 2015

Hi! My name is Salvatore

Old 12-27-2011, 07:38 PM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Gaffeny has been the most consistent receiver on the team, there's no way I let him walk especially with a young QB coming in who would need someone like that in my opinion.
+1

Gaffney is finishing up the best year of his career. The guy seems to be flourishing in this system. He's got one more year left on his contract, I see no reason to cut ties at this point.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Spirit

Gaffney has played very well - not all our players are going to come from the draft, and he has earned the right to play here.

Assuming we draft a QB he must have: 1. The arm strength to pitch that ball way downfield, AND: 2. His deep passes must have the arc, feel and accuracy to hit an open WR, in stride, who is one or two steps ahead of the defender. THEN we will finally, finally have a deep pass threat.

We certainly don't have that QB on this team right NOW. Nor do we have a tall, #1 WR playing to that level, yet. That WR may have to be hired, also.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Code Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyLeeTKD View Post
I like these picks. I feel if Hankerson doesn't know any progression or recovery, he will just be sent to the practice squad for now until he heals correctly. Robinson will probably spend another year on the practice squad pending how well he does next week. Hopefully we pick up a nice FA WR in the offseason or a true potential #1 WR.
Hankerson wouldn't last on PS. Some team would take flyer on him as #5 for sure. I think Hankerson can be a #1. You would hope our starting WRs in a year are Hankerson, Paul, Robinson slot. I still say the sooner we scuttle Gaffney and Moss the better. Gaffney's trade value will never be higher. The smart long term decision would be to trade Moss and Gaffney for whatever you can get, cut Banks and everyone except 3 above, and draft 3 more WRs. Go young! We have NO need for 30+ WRs in a rebuild. Austin maybe #5 or #6 WRs. When you have a good FO, even 6th and 7th round picks can pan out.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:19 AM
Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by colkurtz View Post
Gaffney has played very well - not all our players are going to come from the draft, and he has earned the right to play here.

Assuming we draft a QB he must have: 1. The arm strength to pitch that ball way downfield, AND: 2. His deep passes must have the arc, feel and accuracy to hit an open WR, in stride, who is one or two steps ahead of the defender. THEN we will finally, finally have a deep pass threat.

We certainly don't have that QB on this team right NOW. Nor do we have a tall, #1 WR playing to that level, yet. That WR may have to be hired, also.
I agree. Moss & Gaffney will be retained to give the new & young QB some veteran targets. I see the core 5 this way:
Gaffney
Moss
Hankerson
Paul
Austin