Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Old 01-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Moderator / 3 PEAT [2010-2011-2012] hR Fantasy NBA Champion

Im still fine with Flynn because even with a small sample size he's a huge upgrade over what we have now and allows us to keep our picks and continue building the team. If he can be as good as say Brad johnson was before Danny forced Norvs hand and went with George then Im fine with it. We still can draft a QB like Wilson, Tannenhill, etc. later and would be able to add a true #1 WR, OL help and fill some holes on D. If we trade our 1st, next years and maybe our 2012 2nd we wont be much better next year imo.

"After three or four, in the huddle I said to Russ, 'Play along with me,' " Bostic said. "I got to the line, and I said to Randy White, 'Our coaching staff loves you. We're going to run it over you again.' Then on the next play Russ told him. Randy wasn't very happy, but after three or four times, he didn't say a word."

Old 01-04-2012, 02:12 AM
Spirit

Let me get this straight. We spend weeks arguing about the merits of the 26/27/60 QB rating system, then we have a 7th round player with one excellent game backed by one of the most potent Offenses in the NFL. and half the guys here say to jump!

They might be interested in Flynn as the #2 QB and still try to draft a wunderkind QB.

I'll tell you one thing - after the total failure in picking a QB - bombing with McKnabb, Rex and Beck I think there will be massive pressure to get a real franchise QB this year. Betting it all on Flynn is a huge gamble.....

Old 01-04-2012, 05:44 AM
Medicine Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by fent View Post
Couple things to point out. Flynn has exactly 2 starts in his career and only 132 pass attempts. Not exactly a lot of evidence to overturn his scouting report that produced a 7th round draft selection. Second, while the Pack using the franchise tag on him would technically be a violation of the CBA (something about him not being the true starter), you know he'd immediately sign that thing to get his $10+ million one-year deal, so now any team that signs him has a first-year salary that large sitting there as the starting point of a long-term deal. Let's not get too excited about him just yet.

Here's a little discussion on the whole thing.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...r-the-packers/
Quote:
Originally Posted by colkurtz View Post
Let me get this straight. We spend weeks arguing about the merits of the 26/27/60 QB rating system, then we have a 7th round player with one excellent game backed by one of the most potent Offenses in the NFL. and half the guys here say to jump!

I

They might be interested in Flynn as the #2 QB and still try to draft a wunderkind QB.

I'll tell you one thing - after the total failure in picking a QB - bombing with McKnabb, Rex and Beck I think there will be massive pressure to get a real franchise QB this year. Betting it all on Flynn is a huge gamble.....
Flynn has a very limited body of work under the lights.

In college, his senior season was the only season he played significantly. His completion percentage was around 56, threw for around 2200 yds, and had 21/11 TD/INT. After that pretty much all you have is Sunday's performance. Not very reassuring.

I love the idea of acquiring Flynn to keep our picks and maybe get BPA WR, but can we really go with this guy because he's the flavor of the month?

Old 01-04-2012, 05:53 AM
hR Owner

Quote:

and you're saying betting it on someone drafted is not huge gamble?

Old 01-04-2012, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hail2skins View Post
and you're saying betting it on someone drafted is not huge gamble?
I think so many lose sight of this...... and that is the very reason I say do not sell out for any one player. If its a free agent then make a fair offer - if it's a draft pick and they are going for a QB (or any other specific position), best player at the time of the pick (without reaching) otherwise wait till the next round. I want to see this team build a solid 22 man core - NOT a team around one guy which will never yeild a winning team around here.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:06 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:

Great point !!!

Never mind Flynn, I think that Shanahan stays up at night hoping that ST Louis decides to draft RGIII and auction off Bradford to the highest bidder.. THAT is who the Redskin QB will be next year if it happens..With ownership clearing the entire front office out, i think it is 50/50.

Not only is that based upon the presumption that new regimes mostly want a new franchise QB, but also the fact the RGIII will put fans in the seats the way Bradford hasnt been able to do.. Even losing, he will generate enough enthusiasm to increase ticket sales.. Drafting Khalil may be the smart move, but his impact wont be felt the same way

Old 01-04-2012, 07:17 AM
Chief

Why is everyone on Bradford he cant stay healthy so why would we want him. Flynn has Kolb written all over it. That offense is so explosive any qb not named grossman would do well. I say go with the youngin and grow together.

May the LORD watch between me and thee, while we're abscent from one another....
May his peace be with you till we meet again my friend.

Amen

-Eric

Always count your blessings.

http://s939.photobucket.com/albums/a...1.jpg&newest=1

Old 01-04-2012, 07:36 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethefan View Post
Why is everyone on Bradford he cant stay healthy so why would we want him. Flynn has Kolb written all over it. That offense is so explosive any qb not named grossman would do well. I say go with the youngin and grow together.
i think that Shanahan would have done almost anything to move up and draft Bradford when he came out.. the pick simply wasnt for sale then... if he thought that Bradford was a franchise QB, or better, then why would he come off of that opinion ?

Yes, Bradford has had trouble staying in 1 piece, and that will always be a concern, but if you put him behind a solid line my guess would be that he could be outstanding.. also, he is far along the learning curve and would not have the kind of growing pains that RGIII, or another rookie would have

agree about Flynn.. we have a 2 game sample to show he wasnt worth a 7 th round pick.. We even had a better fix on Kolb

Old 01-04-2012, 07:37 AM
Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethefan View Post
Everyone said the same thing about Rodgers when he was behind Favre.

Green Bay just knows how to teach up the QB position. They don't just draft a QB and throw him out to the wolves. They let him groom behind a vet. Look what it has done for Rodgers and I have a feeling it will have done the same for Flynn.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:33 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsMaViSd View Post
Everyone said the same thing about Rodgers when he was behind Favre.

Green Bay just knows how to teach up the QB position. They don't just draft a QB and throw him out to the wolves. They let him groom behind a vet. Look what it has done for Rodgers and I have a feeling it will have done the same for Flynn.
not just Rodgers

Brunell, Hasselbeck and the former starting QB for the Saints Aaron Brooks also were on the Green Bay roster... they know how to groom young qb's

Old 01-04-2012, 09:03 AM
Ghost Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shally View Post
not just Rodgers

Brunell, Hasselbeck and the former starting QB for the Saints Aaron Brooks also were on the Green Bay roster... they know how to groom young qb's
and those guys have gone on to have some success, at the very least they became starters. i think Flynn is a good option for us if he hits free agency, not sure i want to sell the farm for him in a trade though. and Flynns name hasnt just come out of nowhere. there have been whispers about him the last couple of years, only elevated now by the fact he is due to be a free agent coupled with the huge game he just had. sometimes you just have to take a chance. sure, you can in the draft as many advocate. or you can take a chance on a guy who has been studying the NFL the last 4 years. the major concern with flynn is that his little bit of playing time has been with a very talented offense that couldve helped him look better than he is, but then again he rose to the occasion and ends up setting team records for a very storied franchise despite not seeing the field much at all...

Old 01-04-2012, 09:19 AM
Healer

Flynn would be an upgrade for the Skins but I can't shake the Kevin Kolb vibe and Kolb played a lot more before getting traded. If they get Flynn they they still need to take a QB fairly early in the draft, but it would allow them more flexibility to trade down and focus elsewhere with the earliest picks.

Another guy that isn't getting mentioned now is Hoyer in New England. He's a restricted free agent and has a lot of positive vibes over the past few years, even though he's more on an unknown than Flynn. I don't know much about him personally but New England picked up Mallet so any type of decent offer for Hoyer would make it hard for them to keep him.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:50 AM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 goes 50 gut View Post
Can't believe I'm going to agree with Ahk and CNY but yeah no they aren't the same system. That said there's no reason their passing trees and read/hot rout adjustment system can't be identical or from the same sources.. To know that for certain you would want a GB and Skins QB or WR to sit down and compare notes., or be privy to both teams playbook.
i change my opinion

http://www.hailredskins.com/vbforum/...light=shanahan

Old 01-04-2012, 10:22 AM
Ghost Dancer

Flynn aside, what would happen if we had a healthy Peyton Manning and the best available rookie QB from the draft as an understudy, with as many additions as possible to strengthen our O-Line?

Old 01-04-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSkin View Post
Flynn aside, what would happen if we had a healthy Peyton Manning and the best available rookie QB from the draft as an understudy, with as many additions as possible to strengthen our O-Line?
Kim Kardashian would kiss you and then you would wake up from this dream you just posted and realize it wasn't Kim, but rather your dog licking your face because he wants you to get up and take him outside for his daily doodie....
Just so I don't forget, I intend to remind the above poster about this quote.