Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Old 01-04-2012, 01:32 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keino View Post
LOL. That's a fair point, but Jon's analysis is very solid.

I would say this, the Lions had something to play for on Sunday and were trying to win. There wasn't anything Garbage Time-esque about Flynn's performance. I'd love to sign Flynn and draft RG III. I would settle for one or the other, but both are gambles. I just hope the brain trust does the necessary due diligence and makes the right decision.
i can guarantee you one thing, Flynn is not going ANYWHERE they intend to draft a QB with their high first round pick..

just like Kolb, Cassel and Schaub, Flynn is going to expect commitment from the coach/GM where he is going

Old 01-04-2012, 01:35 PM
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by shally View Post
if you are going on past record, that is exactly what you would expect to see
And he has plucked fruit from this tree before with Hasselbeck.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:38 PM
Chief

Browns are gonna lose payton hillis to free agency,i'd be shocked if holmgren did'nt go after trent richardson over any qb unless he can draft RG III and ask a king's ransom for him in a trade.

But as sure as God made black and white what's done in the dark will be brought to the light"

“If you want to walk the heavenly streets of gold, you gotta know the password, “Roll, Tide, Roll!”

Paul"Bear"Bryant

Old 01-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Medicine Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspring View Post
First of all, 26/27/60 is a good guideline, but has been shown not be a good rule to follow.

No one here is suggesting "betting it all" on flynn. Flynn only costs us cap space. He doesn't cost us picks. We might overpay cash to Flynn, but it won't set us back from a rebuilding standpoint. Also, most on the Flynn bandwagon believe we should couple picking him up with drafting a qb in the 2nd or 3rd round. In a QB heavy draft, I believe the smart thing to do is not reach for a qb. It is unlikely that RG3 falls to us and we are crazy to trade it all away with Tannenhill, Foles and company in the wings.

I do see your point of view. Giving flynn a monster contract based on a couple games is a bit absurd, but why not at least put our hat into the bidding war. From a production standpoint, I think we can almost guarantee at his worse, he is a better placeholder than Rex Grossman. While I hate to overpay for a player, I would rather overpay in dollars than draft picks.

That's playing it safe and going for value.

There's two ways to get a franchise QB's; take a chance and get one you feel is legit, or wait until one falls in your lap. No one on the other side is "betting it all" on the draft either, but The odds are better the more you "risk." That goes for draft picks and cap.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGREDSKINSFAN1963 View Post
Browns are gonna lose payton hillis to free agency,i'd be shocked if holmgren did'nt go after trent richardson over any qb unless he can draft RG III and ask a king's ransom for him in a trade.
agree..

and how long do you think it will be before Hillis gets a visit with the Redskins ? one of Shanahan's last draft picks, i believe, and you know how he feels about most of them

Old 01-04-2012, 01:45 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
agree..

and how long do you think it will be before Hillis gets a visit with the Redskins ? one of Shanahan's last draft picks, i believe, and you know how he feels about most of them
I've hinted at it in other posts, but if Hillis wasn't white, he'd be as radioactive as TO is now. He was a serious *sshole this year, to the point where his teammates wanted him traded, benched for good or released no matter what.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:47 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanouel8 View Post
That's playing it safe and going for value.

There's two ways to get a franchise QB's; take a chance and get one you feel is legit, or wait until one falls in your lap. No one on the other side is "betting it all" on the draft either, but The odds are better the more you "risk." That goes for draft picks and cap.
in the end, it doesnt really matter you paid to get the QB you really wanted, it only matters if that guy fulfills the expectations.. teams miss on draft picks all the time for a variety of reasons, but if you miss in selecting your starting qb it tends to dwarf all other problems..
on the other hand, if you have a consistent reliable starter, you will be in the mix for post season play most every year

Old 01-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhhorus View Post
I've hinted at it in other posts, but if Hillis wasn't white, he'd be as radioactive as TO is now. He was a serious *sshole this year, to the point where his teammates wanted him traded, benched for good or released no matter what.
i dont think there is a bigger a****e on the planet than Haynesworth, and look at all the chances he has gotten. Same with Talib, who helped Morris get canned. if Hillis didnt have talent, he would be long gone, regardless of his skin color..

Old 01-04-2012, 01:53 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
i dont think there is a bigger a****e on the planet than Haynesworth, and look at all the chances he has gotten. Same with Talib, who helped Morris get canned. if Hillis didnt have talent, he would be long gone, regardless of his skin color..
Im talking about how little ESPN et al ever reported about it. There was a near revolt in Cleveland over him and ESPN barely mentioned it(and still won't).

Old 01-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhhorus View Post
Im talking about how little ESPN et al ever reported about it. There was a near revolt in Cleveland over him and ESPN barely mentioned it(and still won't).
that i didnt know.. for sure, he is going to get a change of scenery this offseason.. the reason TO is so radioactive now is that he is no longer a factor on the field.. if he was still the game changer he once was, he would still get offers

Old 01-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Ghost Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guess88 View Post
Not a bad write up, but believing in Tebow hurts your credibility.
LOL yes, I was a Tebow defender, although I never called him a franchise quarterback or a player I'd want the Skins to build around. My argument was that he was deserving of the attention he was getting due to his clutch play in those wins and I wondered aloud what could be if he kept improving. Since then, his play has fallen off dramatically. I stand by my comments in that thread though.

Quote:
i can guarantee you one thing, Flynn is not going ANYWHERE they intend to draft a QB with their high first round pick..

just like Kolb, Cassel and Schaub, Flynn is going to expect commitment from the coach/GM where he is going
Agreed. If we sign Flynn, I want a Tenneyhill or Foles waiting in the wings. If Blackmon doesn't fall to #6, a trade down for more picks would be fantastic and I think the quickest route to a major bump in the win column.

Just imagine if Flynn performs at a Schaub-like level, we beef up the oline in the draft, Hank and Jenkins come back healthy, maybe add Bowe and a NT in free agency and keep the 2013 draft intact. I really think we could be on to something in that scenario.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinfanjon View Post
LOL yes, I was a Tebow defender, although I never called him a franchise quarterback or a player I'd want the Skins to build around. My argument was that he was deserving of the attention he was getting due to his clutch play in those wins and I wondered aloud what could be if he kept improving. Since then, his play has fallen off dramatically. I stand by my comments in that thread though.

Agreed. If we sign Flynn, I want a Tenneyhill or Foles waiting in the wings. If Blackmon doesn't fall to #6, a trade down for more picks would be fantastic and I think the quickest route to a major bump in the win column.

Just imagine if Flynn performs at a Schaub-like level, we beef up the oline in the draft, Hank and Jenkins come back healthy, maybe add Bowe and a NT in free agency and keep the 2013 draft intact. I really think we could be on to something in that scenario.

.....................if Flynn is the Real deal.. and we add pieces in free agency and have a full draft like last year, we could improve dramatically next year.. but that is a huge IF because Flynn wont have the same kind of talent around him here, no matter what we do.. that takes multiple drafts to accomplish

i also agree that we need to add another qb to develop somewhere in this draft.. no more clemons, cromptons, becks and their ilk...

Old 01-04-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:

So you think he will wait until after the draft before signing? That is the only way he can make sure he doesn't go anywhere that may draft a rookie to push him. I think he will sign with whoever offers him the most money and the salary will all but guarantee it's his job to lose.
Just so I don't forget, I intend to remind the above poster about this quote.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keino View Post
So you think he will wait until after the draft before signing? That is the only way he can make sure he doesn't go anywhere that may draft a rookie to push him. I think he will sign with whoever offers him the most money and the salary will all but guarantee it's his job to lose.
No, i think he will sign, or get traded (if GB goes that way) BEFORE the draft

But i think he will reach an understanding with whatever team he signs with that they are NOT going to draft a QB in the first round ..That is kind of like what is going on in Minnesota where (supposedly) Ponder has been given assurances that the Vikings wont draft a QB in the first round--although not exactly the same

As you say, the salary Flynn is going to command is going to make it ridiculous for a team to then go ahead a draft a first round qb.. you just can commit those kinds of dollars to one position

Old 01-04-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
No, i think he will sign, or get traded (if GB goes that way) BEFORE the draft

But i think he will reach an understanding with whatever team he signs with that they are NOT going to draft a QB in the first round ..That is kind of like what is going on in Minnesota where (supposedly) Ponder has been given assurances that the Vikings wont draft a QB in the first round--although not exactly the same

As you say, the salary Flynn is going to command is going to make it ridiculous for a team to then go ahead a draft a first round qb.. you just can commit those kinds of dollars to one position
I could see a team throwing a nice deal at him and then drafting a QB. I frankly don't want a QB who is afraid of having some competition. We had that this past season.
Just so I don't forget, I intend to remind the above poster about this quote.