Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Old 01-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanouel8 View Post
I actually think it can be advantageous not to sign Flynn until after the draft, if you can pull it off. If RGIII slips it gives us a chance to trade down to teams that want him. Ultimately its not good business to toy with the QB position right now. Just get the deal done and finish the story.
there will be tremendous pressure to get Flynn before the draft.. that will allow teams to know better what their qb needs are going into the draft

after the draft, teams are going to take a look at the prospects they drafted and GB might have to hold on to Flynn until preseason.. At that point some team might lose it's starter and Flynn would look more enticing..

Old 01-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shally View Post
there will be tremendous pressure to get Flynn before the draft.. that will allow teams to know better what their qb needs are going into the draft

after the draft, teams are going to take a look at the prospects they drafted and GB might have to hold on to Flynn until preseason.. At that point some team might lose it's starter and Flynn would look more enticing..
That's a lot of risk for GB to assume, no way they hold on to him that long. Shefter actually says they won't tag him because it's too much risk.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wide_awake View Post
That's a lot of risk for GB to assume, no way they hold on to him that long. Shefter actually says they won't tag him because it's too much risk.
I know that if I am Flynn I hope GB tags me. $14 Mill to the bank baby. Can worry about getting a starting gig the next year. If I recall correctly, the CBA prevents teams from using the Franchise tag in consecutive years.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by wide_awake View Post
yup.. he would be earning in the same ballpark as Rodgers.. no team can have that.. transition tag makes no sense because why would they want to retain him at an inflated salary, and they get nothing (except a comp pick) if they dont match

this is all or nothing.. they either franchise him and play it tough, or they wish him well and retain their reputation as being a team that excels at developing qb's for others...

Old 01-05-2012, 01:34 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keino View Post
I know that if I am Flynn I hope GB tags me. $14 Mill to the bank baby. Can worry about getting a starting gig the next year. If I recall correctly, the CBA prevents teams from using the Franchise tag in consecutive years.
you are absolutely correct.. on the other hand, no matter where Flynn signs he is going to get a long term deal with quite a bit of guaranteed money.. he cannot lose either way

it is interesting that i have read some comments that Kolb's contract is NOT that great and that Arizona could potentially dump him without getting cleaned.. cannot verify that...

Old 01-05-2012, 01:49 PM
Shaman

Quote:
you are absolutely correct.. on the other hand, no matter where Flynn signs he is going to get a long term deal with quite a bit of guaranteed money.. he cannot lose either way

it is interesting that i have read some comments that Kolb's contract is NOT that great and that Arizona could potentially dump him without getting cleaned.. cannot verify that...
I think the contract was 21 million guaranteed, which isn't an absurd amount to eat. But I think the real killer is that Arizona gave up a top pick and top player as well.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:

Yea, but I don't think any team is going to throw a guarantee of $13-14 Million his way for this season. He may have an overall deal with that type of guaranteed money, but it would be spread over a number of bonuses.

If that's true regarding Kolb, it is a sign that the multi-year commitment from a team is no guarantee at all and is wholly performance-based.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspring View Post
I think the contract was 21 million guaranteed, which isn't an absurd amount to eat. But I think the real killer is that Arizona gave up a top pick and top player as well.
$21m guaranteed and up to $62.5m total over 5 years.

If it's like many Redskins 5-year contracts, it could be backloaded meaning the salaries escalate in the last two years and he may only make $3-4 mil per year in salary the first 3 years. Still, if you add the guaranteed money, that could be $30-40m for 3 years. And if they dump him after one year, the $21m guaranteed gets split over 2 years instead of 5 and they would take something like a $17m cap hit next year ($4m for year one, remaining $17m for year 2).

It would seem odd if they think they can dump Kolb. Though after 3 years it might make more sense.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:22 PM
Ghost Dancer

Quote:
if they tag flynn he would be wise to sign it right away, it would give him all the leverage in the world then. if he doesnt sign it right away it can be pulled away at any point making him a free agent.

also, i thought teams could tag a player for up to three consecutive years. I do know the CBA changed but i dont think that rule did. what changed i think is how they calculate the money for the tag.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bear View Post
if they tag flynn he would be wise to sign it right away, it would give him all the leverage in the world then. if he doesnt sign it right away it can be pulled away at any point making him a free agent.

also, i thought teams could tag a player for up to three consecutive years. I do know the CBA changed but i dont think that rule did. what changed i think is how they calculate the money for the tag.
From what I understand, and sorry I haven't checked it, but the players negotiated and the owners agreed to not using the franchise tag consecutive years on the same player.

I agree, if I am Flynn, as soon as I hear about a Franchise Offer Sheet, I am taking a dozen bic pens into headquarters to sign!

Old 01-05-2012, 05:23 PM
hR Staff/Spanish Translation

Quote:
From what I understand, and sorry I haven't checked it, but the players negotiated and the owners agreed to not using the franchise tag consecutive years on the same player.

I agree, if I am Flynn, as soon as I hear about a Franchise Offer Sheet, I am taking a dozen bic pens into headquarters to sign!
That could actually be beneficial for us... if he is franchised, I think there is a (slim) chance that he remains untraded after the draft... If we are able to get RGIII, great, if not, we can draft BPA and then trade for Flynn.

"You can't be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes. I've been blessed. God looked out for me. I'm happy."
- Sean Taylor

Old 01-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Medicine Man

I just read in an espn article the players lobbied for eliminating franchise tags in consecutive years for the same players, but it never happened. The other thing I read on another site (gridiron something) states teams can't use the franchise and transition tags in the same year.

The deadline last year was the end of February so I'd imagine this year wouldn't be much different.

What happens with Flynn, will dictate what happens in the draft. If no picks are involved he will be a hot commodity for any team not looking to lose picks to acquire Luck/RGIII.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:32 PM
Medicine Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJacksonTaylor28 View Post
That could actually be beneficial for us... if he is franchised, I think there is a (slim) chance that he remains untraded after the draft... If we are able to get RGIII, great, if not, we can draft BPA and then trade for Flynn.
Its really going to come down to how the system works right now which we haven't established. The Packers will make whatever deal they can to avoid carrying this over after the draft if they franchise him. Smart FO's will let them sweat it out to get the best deal and keep the Packers from gaining too much of a competitive advantage, but there's always a Cerrato lurking somewhere.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:17 PM
Ghost Dancer

Quote:

there were a couple tweaks to the use of the franchise tag, cant use it and transition tag in the same season. and its calculated differently, no longer based on the avg of the top ten paid players at that position.

after some research i found these quotes from Jeff Pash

http://nflcommunications.com/2011/07...ce-transcript/

Quote:
On franchise and transition tags:

Pash: There is not a change on that. There is a change to how the value is calculated, but the franchise tag and transition tags do remain in place.

More on franchise and transition tags:

Pash: There is no limitation on the use of it if that is your question. It is a different calculation of how the base works. It is calculated as a percentage of the salary cap.
apparently theres a PDF of the new CBA on that site as well, but i didnt bother to check it out.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:19 PM
Spirit

so there are a few qb chairs(teams) that need to be filled. assuming luck is going to indy.
browns,dolphins,redskins,seattle. then you have flynn the #1 free agent starter next schaub or cassell. orton,campbell(skins have to be out of running obviously). then you have griffin and tannenhill who can start from day one and tannehill may need a bit of time to sit. kind of interesting