Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

  #226  
Old 01-05-2012, 01:08 PM
shally's Avatar
shally shally is offline
Grumpy Old Man
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: new orleans, now the palm springs of washington
Posts: 59,158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanouel8 View Post
I actually think it can be advantageous not to sign Flynn until after the draft, if you can pull it off. If RGIII slips it gives us a chance to trade down to teams that want him. Ultimately its not good business to toy with the QB position right now. Just get the deal done and finish the story.
there will be tremendous pressure to get Flynn before the draft.. that will allow teams to know better what their qb needs are going into the draft

after the draft, teams are going to take a look at the prospects they drafted and GB might have to hold on to Flynn until preseason.. At that point some team might lose it's starter and Flynn would look more enticing..
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #227  
Old 01-05-2012, 01:28 PM
wide_awake's Avatar
wide_awake wide_awake is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Stafford, VA
Posts: 1,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shally View Post
there will be tremendous pressure to get Flynn before the draft.. that will allow teams to know better what their qb needs are going into the draft

after the draft, teams are going to take a look at the prospects they drafted and GB might have to hold on to Flynn until preseason.. At that point some team might lose it's starter and Flynn would look more enticing..
That's a lot of risk for GB to assume, no way they hold on to him that long. Shefter actually says they won't tag him because it's too much risk.
Reply With Quote

  #228  
Old 01-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Keino's Avatar
Keino Keino is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 24,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wide_awake View Post
That's a lot of risk for GB to assume, no way they hold on to him that long. Shefter actually says they won't tag him because it's too much risk.
I know that if I am Flynn I hope GB tags me. $14 Mill to the bank baby. Can worry about getting a starting gig the next year. If I recall correctly, the CBA prevents teams from using the Franchise tag in consecutive years.
__________________
Fire the Shanahans.
Reply With Quote

  #229  
Old 01-05-2012, 01:32 PM
shally's Avatar
shally shally is offline
Grumpy Old Man
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: new orleans, now the palm springs of washington
Posts: 59,158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wide_awake View Post
That's a lot of risk for GB to assume, no way they hold on to him that long. Shefter actually says they won't tag him because it's too much risk.
yup.. he would be earning in the same ballpark as Rodgers.. no team can have that.. transition tag makes no sense because why would they want to retain him at an inflated salary, and they get nothing (except a comp pick) if they dont match

this is all or nothing.. they either franchise him and play it tough, or they wish him well and retain their reputation as being a team that excels at developing qb's for others...
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #230  
Old 01-05-2012, 01:34 PM
shally's Avatar
shally shally is offline
Grumpy Old Man
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: new orleans, now the palm springs of washington
Posts: 59,158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keino View Post
I know that if I am Flynn I hope GB tags me. $14 Mill to the bank baby. Can worry about getting a starting gig the next year. If I recall correctly, the CBA prevents teams from using the Franchise tag in consecutive years.
you are absolutely correct.. on the other hand, no matter where Flynn signs he is going to get a long term deal with quite a bit of guaranteed money.. he cannot lose either way

it is interesting that i have read some comments that Kolb's contract is NOT that great and that Arizona could potentially dump him without getting cleaned.. cannot verify that...
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #231  
Old 01-05-2012, 01:49 PM
silverspring silverspring is online now
Shaman
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shally View Post
you are absolutely correct.. on the other hand, no matter where Flynn signs he is going to get a long term deal with quite a bit of guaranteed money.. he cannot lose either way

it is interesting that i have read some comments that Kolb's contract is NOT that great and that Arizona could potentially dump him without getting cleaned.. cannot verify that...
I think the contract was 21 million guaranteed, which isn't an absurd amount to eat. But I think the real killer is that Arizona gave up a top pick and top player as well.
Reply With Quote

  #232  
Old 01-05-2012, 02:06 PM
Keino's Avatar
Keino Keino is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 24,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shally View Post
you are absolutely correct.. on the other hand, no matter where Flynn signs he is going to get a long term deal with quite a bit of guaranteed money.. he cannot lose either way

it is interesting that i have read some comments that Kolb's contract is NOT that great and that Arizona could potentially dump him without getting cleaned.. cannot verify that...
Yea, but I don't think any team is going to throw a guarantee of $13-14 Million his way for this season. He may have an overall deal with that type of guaranteed money, but it would be spread over a number of bonuses.

If that's true regarding Kolb, it is a sign that the multi-year commitment from a team is no guarantee at all and is wholly performance-based.
__________________
Fire the Shanahans.
Reply With Quote

  #233  
Old 01-05-2012, 02:24 PM
oldskinfan's Avatar
oldskinfan oldskinfan is offline
Warrior
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Herndon, Vuginyuh
Posts: 2,346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspring View Post
I think the contract was 21 million guaranteed, which isn't an absurd amount to eat. But I think the real killer is that Arizona gave up a top pick and top player as well.
$21m guaranteed and up to $62.5m total over 5 years.

If it's like many Redskins 5-year contracts, it could be backloaded meaning the salaries escalate in the last two years and he may only make $3-4 mil per year in salary the first 3 years. Still, if you add the guaranteed money, that could be $30-40m for 3 years. And if they dump him after one year, the $21m guaranteed gets split over 2 years instead of 5 and they would take something like a $17m cap hit next year ($4m for year one, remaining $17m for year 2).

It would seem odd if they think they can dump Kolb. Though after 3 years it might make more sense.
Reply With Quote

  #234  
Old 01-05-2012, 03:22 PM
Red Bear Red Bear is offline
Ghost Dancer
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: VA
Posts: 3,922
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keino View Post
I know that if I am Flynn I hope GB tags me. $14 Mill to the bank baby. Can worry about getting a starting gig the next year. If I recall correctly, the CBA prevents teams from using the Franchise tag in consecutive years.
if they tag flynn he would be wise to sign it right away, it would give him all the leverage in the world then. if he doesnt sign it right away it can be pulled away at any point making him a free agent.

also, i thought teams could tag a player for up to three consecutive years. I do know the CBA changed but i dont think that rule did. what changed i think is how they calculate the money for the tag.
Reply With Quote

  #235  
Old 01-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Keino's Avatar
Keino Keino is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 24,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bear View Post
if they tag flynn he would be wise to sign it right away, it would give him all the leverage in the world then. if he doesnt sign it right away it can be pulled away at any point making him a free agent.

also, i thought teams could tag a player for up to three consecutive years. I do know the CBA changed but i dont think that rule did. what changed i think is how they calculate the money for the tag.
From what I understand, and sorry I haven't checked it, but the players negotiated and the owners agreed to not using the franchise tag consecutive years on the same player.

I agree, if I am Flynn, as soon as I hear about a Franchise Offer Sheet, I am taking a dozen bic pens into headquarters to sign!
__________________
Fire the Shanahans.
Reply With Quote

  #236  
Old 01-05-2012, 05:23 PM
JoeJacksonTaylor28's Avatar
JoeJacksonTaylor28 JoeJacksonTaylor28 is offline
hR Staff/Spanish Translation
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keino View Post
From what I understand, and sorry I haven't checked it, but the players negotiated and the owners agreed to not using the franchise tag consecutive years on the same player.

I agree, if I am Flynn, as soon as I hear about a Franchise Offer Sheet, I am taking a dozen bic pens into headquarters to sign!
That could actually be beneficial for us... if he is franchised, I think there is a (slim) chance that he remains untraded after the draft... If we are able to get RGIII, great, if not, we can draft BPA and then trade for Flynn.
__________________

"You can't be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes. I've been blessed. God looked out for me. I'm happy."
- Sean Taylor
Reply With Quote

  #237  
Old 01-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Emmanouel8's Avatar
Emmanouel8 Emmanouel8 is offline
Medicine Man
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 4,620
Default

I just read in an espn article the players lobbied for eliminating franchise tags in consecutive years for the same players, but it never happened. The other thing I read on another site (gridiron something) states teams can't use the franchise and transition tags in the same year.

The deadline last year was the end of February so I'd imagine this year wouldn't be much different.

What happens with Flynn, will dictate what happens in the draft. If no picks are involved he will be a hot commodity for any team not looking to lose picks to acquire Luck/RGIII.
Reply With Quote

  #238  
Old 01-05-2012, 05:32 PM
Emmanouel8's Avatar
Emmanouel8 Emmanouel8 is offline
Medicine Man
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 4,620
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJacksonTaylor28 View Post
That could actually be beneficial for us... if he is franchised, I think there is a (slim) chance that he remains untraded after the draft... If we are able to get RGIII, great, if not, we can draft BPA and then trade for Flynn.
Its really going to come down to how the system works right now which we haven't established. The Packers will make whatever deal they can to avoid carrying this over after the draft if they franchise him. Smart FO's will let them sweat it out to get the best deal and keep the Packers from gaining too much of a competitive advantage, but there's always a Cerrato lurking somewhere.
Reply With Quote

  #239  
Old 01-05-2012, 07:17 PM
Red Bear Red Bear is offline
Ghost Dancer
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: VA
Posts: 3,922
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keino View Post
From what I understand, and sorry I haven't checked it, but the players negotiated and the owners agreed to not using the franchise tag consecutive years on the same player.

I agree, if I am Flynn, as soon as I hear about a Franchise Offer Sheet, I am taking a dozen bic pens into headquarters to sign!

there were a couple tweaks to the use of the franchise tag, cant use it and transition tag in the same season. and its calculated differently, no longer based on the avg of the top ten paid players at that position.

after some research i found these quotes from Jeff Pash

http://nflcommunications.com/2011/07...ce-transcript/

Quote:
On franchise and transition tags:

Pash: There is not a change on that. There is a change to how the value is calculated, but the franchise tag and transition tags do remain in place.

More on franchise and transition tags:

Pash: There is no limitation on the use of it if that is your question. It is a different calculation of how the base works. It is calculated as a percentage of the salary cap.
apparently theres a PDF of the new CBA on that site as well, but i didnt bother to check it out.
Reply With Quote

  #240  
Old 01-05-2012, 10:19 PM
skinsfan36's Avatar
skinsfan36 skinsfan36 is offline
Spirit
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: hagerstown,maryland
Posts: 9,266
Default

so there are a few qb chairs(teams) that need to be filled. assuming luck is going to indy.
browns,dolphins,redskins,seattle. then you have flynn the #1 free agent starter next schaub or cassell. orton,campbell(skins have to be out of running obviously). then you have griffin and tannenhill who can start from day one and tannehill may need a bit of time to sit. kind of interesting
__________________
twitter handle=skinsfanjw21
shaw for 2014 head coach
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59 PM.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
| Home | Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Today's Posts | Search | New Posts |