Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Old 02-29-2012, 06:02 PM

Location: Lawn Guyland, NY (my heart will always be in Arlington, Va)

I assume the Redskins pursuit of these WR's was announced by their respective agents. Its like the baseball off season where my team is always said to be after someone in order to increase their demands.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:15 PM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by shally View Post
Colston had micro fracture surgery on a knee last year.. He STILL had career best numbers.. but it is a red flag for the future

Would be fine with Garcon..VJax is 1 strike from a years suspension
Knowing our luck,he'd catch his 1st pass as a redskin in week 1 of the preseason,get hit and need more micro fracture surgery which would put him out for the season. no way do i want another doobie brother on the tem,so i'd be ok with garcon too,but i would take bowe over all of them.

Forgiveness is the fragrance the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it."
—Mark Twain

“If you want to walk the heavenly streets of gold, you gotta know the password, “Roll, Tide, Roll!”

Paul"Bear"Bryant

Old 02-29-2012, 06:48 PM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGREDSKINSFAN1963 View Post
Knowing our luck,he'd catch his 1st pass as a redskin in week 1 of the preseason,get hit and need more micro fracture surgery which would put him out for the season. no way do i want another doobie brother on the tem,so i'd be ok with garcon too,but i would take bowe over all of them.
Vincent Jackson's issues were with DUI's.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:02 PM
Warrior

V-Jax no.

Garcon only for cheap.

Colston maybe but dont break the bank.

Bowe if KC lets him walk. Go get him.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:14 PM
Chief

Something worth noting is if you look at some of the best WR corps in the NFL, most of them are predominantly built through the draft. If we sign whoever, we'll be looking at him in addition to Moss and Gaffney not having been drafted by us, with hopefully 2 out of Hankerson, Paul, Austin and Robinson hopefully making the roster. I'm not saying we shouldn't sign someone, but it's not a coincidence that the best passing attacks in the NFL are all lead by wide receivers that were draftees. Maybe we let Moss walk and draft someone in round 4. As for the players on the list I'd go with Garcon. A good WR corps is diverse with players that complement eachother well, and Garcon's ability to stretch the field could mesh very nicely with Gaffney, Hankerson and Davis underneath.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:32 PM
Scalper

Quote:
Colston had micro fracture surgery on a knee last year.. He STILL had career best numbers.. but it is a red flag for the future

Would be fine with Garcon..VJax is 1 strike from a years suspension
This is why I don't want V Jax. I thought he was 1 strike away from a permanent ban. But you know more than me. Either way, I don't want him because of character issues.

I fear that Garcon and Colston (remember key word is "fear") that Colston and Garcon are products of having top notch QB's (Manning & Brees) throwing to them. I fear that more from Garcon than Colston since Garcon played alongside R. Wayne.

If I were to pick from the 3 it would be Colston, but I'm still skeptical that he could produce for the 'Skins.
We don't do anything to put our guys in position to succeed. Up tempo gets us a 14 point lead. So we stop doing it. I would literally prefer someone have ask Madden up on an Xbox on the sideline to call our plays.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:43 PM
Healer

If we go the Manning AND RG3 route, I'd be fine with Colston and Wayne... knowing Colston would be with another elite QB and Wayne would be with his buddy from Indy.

A core of Colston, Wayne, Moss, Hank, Paul, Austin/Robinson (Gaff would get traded to the Pats or Chiefs) would be a pretty good balance of youth and vets.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:48 PM
Shaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCountry View Post
Something worth noting is if you look at some of the best WR corps in the NFL, most of them are predominantly built through the draft. If we sign whoever, we'll be looking at him in addition to Moss and Gaffney not having been drafted by us, with hopefully 2 out of Hankerson, Paul, Austin and Robinson hopefully making the roster. I'm not saying we shouldn't sign someone, but it's not a coincidence that the best passing attacks in the NFL are all lead by wide receivers that were draftees. Maybe we let Moss walk and draft someone in round 4. As for the players on the list I'd go with Garcon. A good WR corps is diverse with players that complement eachother well, and Garcon's ability to stretch the field could mesh very nicely with Gaffney, Hankerson and Davis underneath.
And look at this draft class of WRs, WOW. Just some of them:
Justin Blackmon
Michael Floyd
Kendall Wright
Stephen Hill
Alshon Jeffery
Mohamed Sanu
Nick Toon
Juron Criner
Dwight Jones
Brian Quick
Joe Adams
Jarius Wright
Marvin McNutt
Ryan Broyles
Devon Wylie

Old 02-29-2012, 09:46 PM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspring View Post
And look at this draft class of WRs, WOW. Just some of them:
Justin Blackmon
Michael Floyd
Kendall Wright
Stephen Hill
Alshon Jeffery
Mohamed Sanu
Nick Toon
Juron Criner
Dwight Jones
Brian Quick
Joe Adams
Jarius Wright
Marvin McNutt
Ryan Broyles
Devon Wylie
There's players to be had every year at every position from pick 1 to 201, you just gotta find them and the good teams always do. Crapshoot my behind.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:42 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCountry View Post
There's players to be had every year at every position from pick 1 to 201, you just gotta find them and the good teams always do. Crapshoot my behind.
and then there was Cruz.. who was a free agent and then cut by the Giants

or Harrison, the lb from the Steelers who was cut several times

Old 03-01-2012, 07:43 AM
Healer

Quote:

I think Harrison was/is on PED's. No doubt in my mind.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:29 AM
Spirit

the real question is whether you spend our dollar$ to pick up a top WR or whether you use that money to pick up the best OG in FA - say like a Carl Nicks.
We definetely need a big X WR, but we also need to strengthen our OL. With a guy like Nicks you now have something to anchor the OL on. Make a couple draft choices for OT and we have a very good OL. That gives us a running game; better pass protection and the ability for the QB to run if need be.

Plus, going for an OG sends a message that Shanahan / Allen are serous about improving the OL, after years of neglect.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:04 AM
Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bear View Post
Mike Wallace is restricted. they're not going to just let him walk away. at the minimum they will tender him with a 1st round compensation. he is worth a 1st rounder, some team could be willing to give that up for him and sign him to an insanely expensive offer sheet that pittsburgh refuses to match, there are no more poison pills to use because the new CBA prohibits it. at the very least the steelers should franchise tag him, but they are cap strapped and have been restructuring deals like crazy to get under the cap, which now could be lower than the $120 million originally expected. in which case, no team is going to give up 2 first round picks for mike wallace. the best case scenario for the steelers is to sign him to a long term deal now for a cap number significantly lower the the franchise tender would be. and then next season they get to go through this all over again with their other two young talented WRs, Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders(of course they probably wont be considered worth 1st rounders by other teams)...but thats another reason they will probably sign him long term.
I forgot he was a RFA and you're right that likely prices him too high. It will be interesting to see what Pitt does to get under the cap and deal with their WR's. Assuming they re-sign Wallace it'll set the bar for the other two so the Steelers might be fighting the cap for a few years.

Meacham is out there as well and he'd qualify as the deep threat/speed WR that this team could use.

I'm not real high on a lot of the others:
Colston- he's a great fit in the NO offense where he can work the deep inside routes but he's not a good route runner and benefits from that offense. I could easily see him going to another team and dropping off.

Garcon- decent but smallish, seems redundant and if he's turning down $35mill offers then he might also be insane.

Vjax- best of the bunch in terms of talent and fit but his potential for suspension, age and annual contract issues give me pause.

Bowe- not going anywhere but he'd be a great fit despite being one of the league leaders in drops.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:19 AM
Chief

Quote:

TWO examples from annual playoff contenders whos rosters are made up of DOZENS of drafted players.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:47 AM
Comanchero

I like Colston. The guy runs every route and does it without drama.