Old 03-02-2012, 09:21 PM
Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinsDave View Post
Am I the only one failing to get the outrage? I think the Patriots cheating was far worse. If the guys were being paid to go after guys and they broke the rules, they would have been penalized and fined for being dirty. The Patriots won Super Bowls this way.
The outrage is quite silly when considering the league has made it's money off of hits like this however I'm terrified of what this may cost the Redskins.....

Hi! My name is Salvatore

Old 03-02-2012, 09:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Am I the only one failing to get the outrage? I think the Patriots cheating was far worse. If the guys were being paid to go after guys and they broke the rules, they would have been penalized and fined for being dirty. The Patriots won Super Bowls this way.
+1

Do we really think players making millions of dollars per year care about one thousand dollars??

Old 03-02-2012, 09:35 PM

Location: Lawn Guyland, NY (my heart will always be in Arlington, Va)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavar703 View Post
The outrage is quite silly when considering the league has made it's money off of hits like this however I'm terrified of what this may cost the Redskins.....
It isn't costing them anything.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Ghost Dancer

I think the league will take this very seriously. The league office has been making efforts to improve safety and, more importantly to them, to improve the league's public image on player safety. Goodell may think that this scandal is worse than Spygate because it goes to the issue of player safety. It also looks bad at a time when they maybe worried about litigation from former players over long-term disabilities stemming from football (if only from a PR perspective).

The Skins could be fined. I suspect that the key will be whether the league can find evidence that the top brass at Redskins Park knew about it. I find it hard to believe that knowledge of the bounty system was limited to the defensive staff and players. However, Gibbs has denied knowing and hopefully his sterling reputation will save the team.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:20 PM
Sachem

I think the likelihood is very... well, unlikely, but I'm not so sure we are retroactively involved in this.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:22 PM
Medicine Man

Quote:
Patriots were far worse.

Not too many years ago this would've been nothing. The NFL is taking petty to new levels these days, so who knows what this means for us.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:53 AM
hR Staff Writer

If you are incentivising picks, sacks, forced fumbles I can live with that, but encouraging anything further steps across the line as far as I am concerned. The playing career is short enough as it is, puttiing any emphasis on injuring a fellow player to get him out of a game is not needed.

Lets say we are in a hypothetical dreamworld and RG3 has us in the championship game and he is the victim of a late hit a la the one Favre took in the Saints championship game. It not only knocks him out of the game but snaps his ACL and we lose him for the following season, would it sit comfortable with you knowing that the opposition exchanged chump change (in NFL terms) for commiting such an act? It would not sit well with me at all.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:09 AM
hR Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by flave1969 View Post
If you are incentivising picks, sacks, forced fumbles I can live with that, but encouraging anything further steps across the line as far as I am concerned. The playing career is short enough as it is, puttiing any emphasis on injuring a fellow player to get him out of a game is not needed.

Lets say we are in a hypothetical dreamworld and RG3 has us in the championship game and he is the victim of a late hit a la the one Favre took in the Saints championship game. It not only knocks him out of the game but snaps his ACL and we lose him for the following season, would it sit comfortable with you knowing that the opposition exchanged chump change (in NFL terms) for commiting such an act? It would not sit well with me at all.
Yeah, but you wouldn't know that it was a bounty until years later down the road.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:30 AM
hR Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhhorus View Post
Re-reading the article, no one says that the skins have been investigated. BUT it looks like the NFL will be knocking on the door at Ashburn soon.
How does it look that way? The investigation has already occurred and evidence has been given to Goodell already. Aiello had come out and said they didn't know about the Redskins and it wasn't in the investigation. This should not impact the Skins.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:57 AM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hail2skins View Post
How does it look that way? The investigation has already occurred and evidence has been given to Goodell already. Aiello had come out and said they didn't know about the Redskins and it wasn't in the investigation. This should not impact the Skins.
What stops them from opening one up on the skins? If the NFL said: "yeah, we heard about that but the focus is the saints" i'd say that the skins are in the clear. The fact that they specifically said that they didn't know suggests that this isn't over for the skins until they said they're dropping it.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:04 AM
Chief

After reading a lot of stuff,and seeing a lot of stuff about this over the last day,i think saints gm loomis,and sean peyton both may get fired because they knew this was going on,were told to make it stop,but did'nt ! This may be why the saints let williams leave with no fan fare. i think this may cost williams his job with the rams too.NFL will investigate every team he has coached going all the way back to the titans.players will get suspended and fined,but the brunt of this will fall on coaches and the front office where it should,especially since they were warned to stop,and did'nt.

Forgiveness is the fragrance the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it."
—Mark Twain

“If you want to walk the heavenly streets of gold, you gotta know the password, “Roll, Tide, Roll!”

Paul"Bear"Bryant

Old 03-03-2012, 10:35 AM
hR Staff Writer

Link

Quote:
The NFL will investigate allegations that the Washington Redskins had a bounty program that paid players four-figure bonuses for jarring hits on opponents when Gregg Williams coached the team’s defense between the 2004 and 2007 seasons, a league source said Saturday.

The source, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the topic, said it is standard procedure for NFL officials to look into any accusations that league rules have been broken.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:40 AM
Spirit

This really sucks that our franchise already struggling for years will now have this cloud over our heads to deal with. Gears got penalties it's so far back I can't see it being anymore then some fines maybe the loss of a late rd pick. Akh you seem to be following it pretty close so far. What do you think the skins penalties will be

Old 03-03-2012, 10:41 AM

Location: Lawn Guyland, NY (my heart will always be in Arlington, Va)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGREDSKINSFAN1963 View Post
After reading a lot of stuff,and seeing a lot of stuff about this over the last day,i think saints gm loomis,and sean peyton both may get fired because they knew this was going on,were told to make it stop,but did'nt ! This may be why the saints let williams leave with no fan fare. i think this may cost williams his job with the rams too.NFL will investigate every team he has coached going all the way back to the titans.players will get suspended and fined,but the brunt of this will fall on coaches and the front office where it should,especially since they were warned to stop,and did'nt.
Good lord, this isn't the damn black sox scandal. It's throwing a few bucks to guys for taking someone out. Like I said before, if they broke any rules or had any late hits, those would be called. I can't even muster up an ounce of outrage over it.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:42 AM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan36 View Post
This really sucks that our franchise already struggling for years will now have this cloud over our heads to deal with. Gears got penalties it's so far back I can't see it being anymore then some fines maybe the loss of a late rd pick. Akh you seem to be following it pretty close so far. What do you think the skins penalties will be
No clue until we see what the Saints get hit with. I don't think that the skins will lose much if they're sanctioned for a draft pick(s) since the Saints ignored a warning from the league about it. Maybe heavy fines and a late round pick. Maybe.