Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Old 03-05-2012, 08:44 PM

Location: Lawn Guyland, NY (my heart will always be in Arlington, Va)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbsFan View Post
Bounty systems have been around forever. Starting back in the 50's there were hatchet men who were signed for a game by many teams to take out a guy and then they would get cut after the game. I would bet every team has had a bounty system at one time or another.

Take a look at the old NFL films with George Allen, who used to give out color TV's, small appliances, etc.

Look for where he tells dirty Biggs good job for stepping on a guys hand, but you should have broke it. Great stuff. Rozelle did not want this type of stuff put out there by the Sabols, and I bet the media machine that the NFL is today will also sweep it under the rug. Williams or anyone else will never get suspended.

btw, I don't think Gibbs knew about or condoned this type of stuff
Blache says Gibbs didn't know.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...fZtR_blog.html

Old 03-05-2012, 10:58 PM
Shaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinsDave View Post
The first and last time I will say this but I think Blache is correct.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:21 AM
Medicine Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead View Post
The first and last time I will say this but I think Blache is correct.
Buddy Ryan ran bounties and I recall Gibbs not being too fond of him.

Gibbs has traditionally given his defensive coaches complete autonomy to the point where he can barely address that side of the ball.

Gregg kept at least one thing from Gibbs that we know of.

Doubt Gibbs knew anything either.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:04 PM
Chief

Hear what Dexter Manley said about Joe Gibbs and bounties.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...2KvR_blog.html

Forgiveness is the fragrance the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it."
—Mark Twain

“If you want to walk the heavenly streets of gold, you gotta know the password, “Roll, Tide, Roll!”

Paul"Bear"Bryant

Old 03-08-2012, 04:48 PM
Medicine Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGREDSKINSFAN1963 View Post
Hear what Dexter Manley said about Joe Gibbs and bounties.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...2KvR_blog.html
I wouldn't necessarily consider that a bounty system, more like incentives for good play. Still I'm surprised he had that level of interaction with the defensive players. I always had the impression he left the defensive side entirely to the DC.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:54 PM
Runner

Bounty Investigation still open:
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post...n-remains-open

I actually am still not worried at all that the Redskins will be punished for their past actions under Gregg Williams. I believe that Goodell saying the investigation is still open means that the NFL is, and will continue to do, is investigate teams that have given player bonuses outside of their contract and will do whatever they can to make sure that this isn't an issue in the future.

Or he could just be using this as a leverage against the Redskins for the filed grievance suit

Old 03-26-2012, 08:03 PM
Medicine Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP26CP26CP26 View Post
Bounty Investigation still open:
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post...n-remains-open

I actually am still not worried at all that the Redskins will be punished for their past actions under Gregg

Or he could just be using this as a leverage against the Redskins for the filed grievance suit
This has everything to do with the grievance. "Goodhell" already made a strong enough statement to deter teams from bounties.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:48 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanouel8 View Post
This has everything to do with the grievance. "Goodhell" already made a strong enough statement to deter teams from bounties.
totally agree.. Goodell has called Snyder, and raised him one..

we will see who has the bigger pair now

Old 03-26-2012, 09:04 PM
Comanchero

So Coercion and Blackmail?

Old 03-26-2012, 09:47 PM
Firebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shally View Post
totally agree.. Goodell has called Snyder, and raised him one..

we will see who has the bigger pair now
I'll take Snyder on this one. Goodell is the bully and Snyder is the kid who has had enough and challenges the bully.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:53 PM
Warrior

This whole bounty thing is do hypocritical it's not even funny.
Sort of like how the McGuire /Sosa home run chase helped revive baseball, then they only cracked own on PED's AFTER all that.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:35 PM
Shaman

wow lol Goodell wants to come after us on Bounty because we won't roll over on the grievance really. so now the league is doing Mara's bidding.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:08 AM
Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskinfan View Post
This whole bounty thing is do hypocritical it's not even funny.
Sort of like how the McGuire /Sosa home run chase helped revive baseball, then they only cracked own on PED's AFTER all that.
As a high school varsity lacrosse coach, I don't think it's even close to being similar. The bounty system is so so SO much worse it's not even comparable. Think about how indefensible it was for Albert Haynesworth to stomp on Andre Gurode's head. Now imagine that not only was he told to do that (injure) by his coaches, but that he would be paid and and his fine taken care of.

I understand that it obviously wasn't taken that far but I also know as a d1 athlete and now a high school coach that it is the most despicable thing to try to injure deliberately injure an opponent. And is that type of behavior good for football as it was for steroids with baseball? Yes, hitting homeruns in baseball builds tv ratings and raises revenue and so do big hits in football. You know what made more money for the NFL? Having Brett Favre play over Tavaris Jackson. Having Kurt Warner play over Matt Lienhart. (this is where i got distracted for a while, left, and lost my train of thought)

This is miserable for football or any other sport. Where in baseball/steroids in general athletes are taking a substance that hurts their own body to try and preform greater than their natural ability. Even if a coach specifically paid a player to steroids (and basically baseball did by blatantly ignoring it), it still doesn't come close. Chasing after steroids in baseball was a bit hypocritical but doing it for football is definitely not and i agree with the extreme punishments that the league has given out to the saints. Injuring superstars is very detrimental to the league very very much more so than the concussions and older players health issues. Also, paying player under the table is also very detrimental.

The reason I think that the NFL interviewed a former Redskins player yesterday was not to find reason to punish the Redskins but to learn more about the culture of current bounties/bonuses for players that are not under their contract. Of course I could be very very naive, but going after past violations is setting a bad precedent/past culture that;s been apart of the NFL that they don;t want to come to light. They just want it all to stop now.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:24 AM
Medicine Man

Quote:

The reason I think that the NFL interviewed a former Redskins player yesterday was not to find reason to punish the Redskins but to learn more about the culture of current bounties/bonuses for players that are not under their contract. Of course I could be very very naive, but going after past violations is setting a bad precedent/past culture that;s been apart of the NFL that they don;t want to come to light. They just want it all to stop now.
They can go a lot of other different places to learn more about the culture of bounties. I think they've done enough exploration on the matter to know they don't want it in the league.

This is a shot across the Redskin's bowel by the league.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:54 AM

Location: Lawn Guyland, NY (my heart will always be in Arlington, Va)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanouel8 View Post
They can go a lot of other different places to learn more about the culture of bounties. I think they've done enough exploration on the matter to know they don't want it in the league.

This is a shot across the Redskin's bowel by the league.
I think this is unintentionally correct.