Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Old 03-20-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_junior View Post
157-119 at last count.
11-21 for the only team I care about.
Just so I don't forget, I intend to remind the above poster about this quote.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:48 AM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
157-119 at last count.
What's his record since Kubiak left him?

Old 03-20-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 goes 50 gut View Post
I know how this is going to sound like I'm ripping you, but that is one of the dumbest things Bill Parcells ever said and it drives me nuts when people repeat it.

There are so many random elements, bad calls, injuries, games are so close, and so much parity, a botched snap here or there.

The Giants were what their record said they were?

9 wins says Super Bowl?

No it is actually one of the few smart things he said. He was asked a question in such a way that allowed him to make a ton of excuses, such as the ones you outline above for his team's record and he didn't bite. He is correct, you are what your record says you are. The Giants 9 wins was enough to allow them to get into the playoffs where their record became 0-0 and then they proceeded to go undefeated. The Giants were a mediocre regular season team that got hot at the right time, just like the Packers the year before.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhhorus View Post
Football is a sum of hundreds of moving parts. You could play that game with any coach in the league to make them look better or worse.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wide_awake View Post
Football is a sum of hundreds of moving parts. You could play that game with any coach in the league to make them look better or worse.
Okay lets keep it simple then: What is his record since he was fired in Denver and hired in Washington? That is the only record that matters to me.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keino View Post
No it is actually one of the few smart things he said. He was asked a question in such a way that allowed him to make a ton of excuses, such as the ones you outline above for his team's record and he didn't bite. He is correct, you are what your record says you are. The Giants 9 wins was enough to allow them to get into the playoffs where their record became 0-0 and then they proceeded to go undefeated. The Giants were a mediocre regular season team that got hot at the right time, just like the Packers the year before.
Where do you draw the time frame line? We always start off hot, yet we all know it's a mirage.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Okay lets keep it simple then: What is his record since he was fired in Denver and hired in Washington? That is the only record that matters to me.
What's any great coach's record without a stud QB? I'm not even defending Shanny, I just think it's a silly argument.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:03 AM
Sentinel

Quote:
35 - 45 with one winning season

Denver
'06 9-7
'07 7-9
'08 8-8

Washington
'10 6-10
'11 5-11

That's interesting

Old 03-20-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Where do you draw the time frame line? We always start off hot, yet we all know it's a mirage.
In the playoffs, everyone enters 0-0. That's why getting there is so key, because anything can happen once you do. Both of the Giants superbowls came from the 6 seed where they had to win 3 road games.

That is the effect of parity, in my opinion. You compare it to the 80s and 90s, where I think that New England team that was blown out by the 85 Bears was the first team to come from the 6 seed and make it to the SB. The '79 Rams may have also.....point being that what was once a pretty rare occurrence happens fairly often now. Pittsburgh, both NYG, Green Bay Superbowls come immediately to mind when thinking of recent years in which the 6 seed made it and won the big game.

Last edited by Keino : 03-20-2012 at 07:26 AM.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:16 AM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Shanahan had 33 wins in the 3 seasons prior to Kubiak taking the Houston gig. He has 35 wins in the 5 seasons he's coached since then. Also, in the last 6 seasons with Kubiak, the worst the offensive points rank was #10 in the NFL(even with Brian Griese at the helm, in 2000 the Broncos were 2nd in yards, 2nd in points and won 11 games). Since he left, the ranks for Shanny: 17, 21, 16, 25, 26.

Meanwhile...in Houston...

Last edited by akhhorus : 03-20-2012 at 07:50 AM.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
What's any great coach's record without a stud QB? I'm not even defending Shanny, I just think it's a silly argument.
You think it is silly to judge a coach by his win/loss record? Okay.

Jon Gruden, Brian Billick, Mike Tomlin, Tom Coughlin all won Superbowls in the last decade without a stud QB. I include Tomlin and Coughlin because Ben as rook was no stud and Eli was no stud in 2007. I could also argue that Brady wasn’t a stud in 2001. Certainly the chances are increased when you have a stud QB, especially in this era of football, but that doesn’t get Shanny a pass when he has complete control over the QB situation. When he tells me he can win with Rex and Beck, I expect that he can do that since it is the situation he is choosing.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:40 AM
Scalper

Quote:
Gibbs' last two SB QBs weren't studs. They got the job done but were far from elite.

"It's almost like, you play a kid's game for a king's ransom. And if you don't take it serious enough, eventually one day you're going to say, 'Oh, I could have done this, I could have done that.' Sean Taylor

Old 03-20-2012, 07:58 AM
Great Spirit

Quote:
11-21 for the only team I care about.
So you're only what your record says you are using a smaller sample size while working for a poorly-run organization? If Mike Tomlin was hired by the Bengals and didn't win much for two seasons would that mean he was all-of-a-sudden a mediocre coach?

Old 03-20-2012, 08:00 AM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
So you're only what your record says you are using a smaller sample size while working for a poorly-run organization? If Mike Tomlin was hired by the Bengals and didn't win much for two seasons would that mean he was all-of-a-sudden a mediocre coach?
Bad example. If Tomlin struggled for his last few seasons in PIttsburgh, took a year off, then struggled with the Bengals, it would be fair to say that he was overrated in Pittsburgh.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:05 AM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Bad example. If Tomlin struggled for his last few seasons in PIttsburgh, took a year off, then struggled with the Bengals, it would be fair to say that he was overrated in Pittsburgh.
Imagine my surprise.