Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hR General Discussion Forums > Apache Off Topic Tribe

Trayvon Martin
Old 03-19-2012, 04:36 PM
Healer

Default Trayvon Martin

It's outrageous that the shooter isn't at least being detained.

From what I've read it seems like Zimmerman is a racist, coward with a gun. That's just my opinion though...

Unarmed teen killed by neighborhood watch

Old 03-19-2012, 04:48 PM
hR Staff Writer

There's a lot of hyperbole on both sides. There needs to be a federal investigation to determine the facts.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:57 PM
Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhhorus View Post
There's a lot of hyperbole on both sides. There needs to be a federal investigation to determine the facts.
Agreed. What's most upsetting though, is that if it wasn't brought up in the news and passed around in social media, the police dept. handling the case seemed to have been content to have considered it closed.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:02 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guess88 View Post
Agreed. What's most upsetting though, is that if it wasn't brought up in the news and passed around in social media, the police dept. handling the case seemed to have been content to have considered it closed.
Maybe. The feds tend to nose around in situations like this without public pressure.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:31 PM
Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhhorus View Post
Maybe. The feds tend to nose around in situations like this without public pressure.
I guess, but to my understanding Zimmerman is currently walking around free which I think is a mistake. His 911 call doesn't seem to help his case, saying that "he looks like he's on drugs" and mentioning "these a##holes always get away!".

The kid was on a snack run to 7-11. He was found with a bottle of ice tea and skittles. Is that threatening enough to need to pull a gun?

Finding out whose voice was screaming "help" during the other persons 911 call will be key. It sounds like a kid to me, but could be a cowards as well.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:36 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guess88 View Post
I guess, but to my understanding Zimmerman is currently walking around free which I think is a mistake. His 911 call doesn't seem to help his case, saying that "he looks like he's on drugs" and mentioning "these a##holes always get away!".

The kid was on a snack run to 7-11. He was found with a bottle of ice tea and skittles. Is that threatening enough to need to pull a gun?

Finding out whose voice was screaming "help" during the other persons 911 call will be key. It sounds like a kid to me, but could be a cowards as well.
This is why I think that the feds need to get involved.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:01 AM
Sachem

This story makes me sick.
I don't know the facts yet, obviously, but
it appears to be undisputed that the kid was
unarmed and his only "crime" was being an
African-American 17 year old male in a
predominately white neighborhood. The poor kid
was just going to the 7-11 to get a snack, for
heaven's sake. What can the parents of a black
teenager do or say to keep their kid protected?

This and the shootings in France made for a very
sad day yesterday. Ignorance, hatred and guns
are a terrible combination.

My heart goes out to the young man and his family.
And whatever passes for justice on this Earth, I hope
it is done is in this case.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:03 AM

The shooting itself is outrageous. The fact that the guy who did it is walking around free and that police actually corrected a witness statement for the witness is the part that sickens me.

I can only tell you what my father told me in terms of what African American parents can tell their kids. My Dad said "when step out of this house, know that you are a target. You are a target by police, because you fit someone's description. You are a target for hate because of who your parents are. Think about everything you do so as not to be on the downside of the black male statistics (referring to dying or imprisoned before age 25)"

You would think in this day and age, a parent wouldn't have to do that. It doesn't help that we have "Stand your Ground" gun laws in FL, that absent a witness and evidence to the contrary, a shooter can claim that they felt in danger and were under attack.

(Agree with you about the shootings in France as well)
Just so I don't forget, I intend to remind the above poster about this quote.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:35 AM

I hadn't had the time to read more into this case until today, although I had heard about it and its just sickening. I've heard (and read) the witnesses accounts, the 911 tapes and there's no way Zimmerman should be a free man. I just hope the public outcry and petitions help Trayvon's family get some justice for their son at the very least since its too late to bring him back.

~R.I.P Sean Taylor 1983-2007~

Old 03-20-2012, 10:37 AM
hR Staff Writer

If its true that the shooter left his car to chase the suspect against the orders from 911, that he muttered some racist term and he was following him for awhile before shooting him, thats murder. No way around it.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:28 AM
Spirit

This man needs to be behind bars.

Hi! My name is Salvatore

Old 03-20-2012, 12:01 PM

Location: Lawn Guyland, NY (my heart will always be in Arlington, Va)

Even if someone could make a case that he felt threatened, nothing changes the fact the he had no business carrying a weapon and acting as law enforcement. The 911 call does nothing to support Zimmerman. The second one doesn't either. Word is he calls 911 all the time and is a cop wannabe. I think he should be charged with second degree murder but, at the very least, he needs to be charged with manslaughter among other crimes.

I can't stand hate crimes laws because hate is an emotion not an action and we have laws that cover the actual crimes. That said, if the only way to "fix" this travesty is to use federal civil rights charges, it needs to happen.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:56 PM
hR Staff Writer

Apparently the gated community Zimmerman was "guarding" held an emergency meeting about Zimmerman's aggression as the leader of the Watch(Zimmerman entered and confronted an owner in their home without permission). And Zimmerman was once arrested for assaulting a cop(charges never filed).

Old 03-20-2012, 01:50 PM
Ghost Dancer

This case shouldn't require a federal investigation. The local prosecutor should pursue murder charges. Florida has some unusual self-defense laws, and media reports has claimed that those laws are the reason for that no arrest has been made in Zimmerman's case. Specifically, Florida has eliminated the duty to retreat before using deadly force.

Still, I don't understand how Zimmerman's conduct is justifiable even under Florida law. First, lethal force is unjustified absent a reasonable fear of imminent death or great bodily harm. Zimmerman was an adult man in a fist-fight with a slender 17-year-old boy who weighed 100 pounds less than he did. Even if Zimmerman believed his life was in danger, that belief was not reasonable. Second, while the general duty to retreat has been abolished in Florida, aggressors still have to attempt to flee before using lethal force. Zimmerman seems to have provoked the conflict. He was following Martin and it seems reasonable to infer that he had gotten out of the car to confront Martin. Even if Martin's conduct made Zimmerman reasonably fear for his life, Zimmerman should have tried to get away before shooting Martin.

Last edited by justinskins : 03-20-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinskins View Post
Florida has some unusual self-defense laws, and media reports has claimed that those laws are the reason for that no arrest has been made in Zimmerman's case. Specifically, Florida has eliminated the duty to retreat before using deadly force..
If true, how could this ever have been passed? It just sounds like an open invitation for reckless behavior. If he doesn't go to court, maybe justice would be someone feeling threatened by him and shooting him in self defense? Knowing a killer is walking loose and probably still armed, I think it would be justified under FL laws.