Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Old 03-22-2012, 01:21 PM
Papoose

For the first time since I can remember....it's actually a win/win situation for us...

I don't care who they pick, either way we win because both I think are legit QB's with tons of upside and both are a million times better than the knuckleheads we have under center currently. So I love the fact that either way, we will get a new stud rookie QB to throw all of our hopes and dreams upon for the next few years at least anyway.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Comanchero

Luck 'is' the better prospect, not really seeing the argument against it. He has the intangibles, football sense and IQ of manning; with nearly the athletic ability of Cam Newton. On top of that he played in a pro system, while being allowed to audible at the line, in college. He is ready to start and compete day 1.

RG3 is crazy athletic & mobile, but people put too much emphasis on that because of the highlights. He has the ability and presence to excel in the pocket first and not rely on his feet, but teams have to account for the option. He is likely as smart as Luck, but needs time football IQ wise with coaching and experience. Luckily from all accounts he is quick to learn and things stick, so should figure things out quickly. Likely to make a mistake and learn from it, not continually repeat it. He has the arm, can make all the throws, but needs help and coaching on WR progression, option routes and reading defenses. Not nearly as much as options after him in the draft, but still needs to be coached up to his potential, which very well could match that of luck. Just a matter of time, coaching and experience.

I think RG3 better fits what the skins want to do, but Luck is the better prospect, can't really miss either way. RG3 has the time to develop, just hope Shanny Sr. continues to keep a close eye on him after the draft.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:45 PM
Ghost Dancer

Both these guys are highly touted prospects. Neither seems to have any major red flags. The one thing I worry about is the fact that Luck was considered an exceptional prospect for some time, whereas Griffin only rose to elite prospect status last season. However, I am content with the fact that we will get one of them.

I don't think it's worth worrying about who will be better at this point. It's not the Redskins' decision. We will get whichever one the Colts don't pick. Only time will tell who is a better pro quarterback.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:52 PM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinskins View Post
The one thing I worry about is the fact that Luck was considered an exceptional prospect for some time, whereas Griffin only rose to elite prospect status last season.
My hope is that some of that is just the teams for which they played:

In 2010 Luck played for a 12-1 team coached by Jim Harbaugh that won the Orange Bowl

In 2010 RGIII played for a 7-6 Baylor team that lost in the Texas Bowl

Old 03-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_junior View Post
That's strange, I assumed you were going to say Luck was the better pro prospect.
Should I hold back because you disagree?

Kurtis Drummond for 2015

Hi! My name is Salvatore

Old 03-22-2012, 02:09 PM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavar703 View Post
Should I hold back because you disagree?
No, but you should drop your sense of humor off at the shop. It seems to be on the fritz.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:14 PM
Spirit

Quote:
No, but you should drop your sense of humor off at the shop. It seems to be on the fritz.
Very true lol. Sorry for being snappy, I have a migraine that is currently beating me down at work.

Kurtis Drummond for 2015

Hi! My name is Salvatore

Old 03-22-2012, 02:16 PM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavar703 View Post
Very true lol. Sorry for being snappy, I have a migraine that is currently beating me down at work.
No worries. And I hope you don't think I'm not an RGIII fan, because I am. A huge one.

This is the most excited I've been about anything Skins-related since we learned Joe Gibbs was coming back. I'm of the opinion the only thing that will keep RGIII from being a great pro is injury.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:23 PM
Spirit

Quote:
No worries. And I hope you don't think I'm not an RGIII fan, because I am. A huge one.

This is the most excited I've been about anything Skins-related since we learned Joe Gibbs was coming back. I'm of the opinion the only thing that will keep RGIII from being a great pro is injury.
I don't get that impression at all. I think the majority of us are fans of RGIII and Andrew Luck. It's rare too have two great kids sitting atop the draft board who seem to have zero character flaws.

Kurtis Drummond for 2015

Hi! My name is Salvatore

Old 03-22-2012, 03:21 PM
Brave

This thread is a little more encouraging then that last one. People who think its a slam dunk the Colts take Luck need to at least open their eyes to the possibility they take RGIII.

Pollian has been quoted saying he likes RGIII more. So let's put it this way; if we take him at his word, if they hadn't fired him the Colts would likely be picking him. That's how close a thing it is.

Here's the main reason I have doubts; RGIII is so much different from Peyton, they may take him because he won't get the "next Peyton Manning" expectations and comparisons and take the same criticisms. Luck due to the comparisons and being seen as ready right now might have more pressure on him to fill the shoes of manning. RGIII maybe gets less of that, because of the style differences and the fact that he's a little less "ready" I've heard people talking about how Luck has some big Shoes to fill. IMO they might throw a curve ball at that problem.

Call me paranoid but I have nightmares of this scenario and Luck getting Donovan McNabb treatment by some shocked Redskins fans at the draft, and then having to deal with the "damnit you're not RGIII" thing maybe getting some Heath Shuler,quick resentment treatment if he struggles at all on top of that.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:37 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 goes 50 gut View Post
This thread is a little more encouraging then that last one. People who think its a slam dunk the Colts take Luck need to at least open their eyes to the possibility they take RGIII.

Pollian has been quoted saying he likes RGIII more. So let's put it this way; if we take him at his word, if they hadn't fired him the Colts would likely be picking him. That's how close a thing it is.

Here's the main reason I have doubts; RGIII is so much different from Peyton, they may take him because he won't get the "next Peyton Manning" expectations and comparisons and take the same criticisms. Luck due to the comparisons and being seen as ready right now might have more pressure on him to fill the shoes of manning. RGIII maybe gets less of that, because of the style differences and the fact that he's a little less "ready" I've heard people talking about how Luck has some big Shoes to fill. IMO they might throw a curve ball at that problem.

Call me paranoid but I have nightmares of this scenario and Luck getting Donovan McNabb treatment by some shocked Redskins fans at the draft, and then having to deal with the "damnit you're not RGIII" thing maybe getting some Heath Shuler,quick resentment treatment if he struggles at all on top of that.

not a chance..Luck has done everything you could ask for in a college qb for 2-3 years now.. he will be a fine qb.. the only questions are HOW GOOD

Old 03-22-2012, 03:54 PM

Yes.
Just so I don't forget, I intend to remind the above poster about this quote.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:18 PM
Sachem

The way this whole situation has played out is hilarious to me in the sense that in the pits of Grossmania (after we were statistically eliminated from the playoffs yet still played all starters), the idea that we could "Suck for Luck" was completely out of the realm of possibility in my mind. Therefore, I hadn't (and haven't) really given the idea of Andrew Luck in a Skins uniform much thought at all.

At that point, it was clear that the Colts were taking Luck, and all I really wanted to do for the rest of the season was lose all of our remaining games to get closer to a position of drafting RG3. Even at that point, by beating the Seahawks and the Giants, we effectively cost ourselves key draft position to obtain RG3, and it stung even more when Barkley decided to stay in.

(Re: Barkley - I was kind of meh on him in the sense that I want a dude with a strong arm who can throw the deep ball, and by all accounts Barkley is shaky at that. He was merely 3rd in the line of anyone who could replace Grossman.)

I know we gave up a lot to get RG3, but now that we're in the position to get either Luck or RG3, it boggles my mind. I'd have to say that I'm leaning a little bit more towards RG3, simply because I think he has more upside coupled with the fact that my brain has been expecting him for awhile, but if the Colts drafted him and we got Luck, it'd take me about 1 minute to realign my brain before I was in full-on Luck mode.

It was expensive, but I'm thrilled at the position we're in now.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:49 PM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 goes 50 gut View Post
What was the quote? Got a link?

Old 03-22-2012, 04:55 PM
Great Spirit