Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Old 04-04-2012, 12:52 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunBunch5 View Post
Wasn't Willie Smith a rookie last year and he performed well. He is only going to get more familiar with the system and get better. We may be set with Willie. Chester needs to be replaced and that is why I was hoping to get an upgrade in FA. Maybe one of our 4ths go to his replacement.
I have two words for you....Stephon Heyer

Sometimes a udfa can play well...for a rookie, but there is a reason they werent drafted, and that is because their upside is not that great. Whether its mental or physical they hit a ceiling.

My problem is we are in such a desperate need because we have ignored young quality depth for two years and with holes at NT, LB, DB, S, and depth needs at rb, de, olb, we could ignore the ol again or wait till the 7th round and udfa...which would be a big mistake.

http://www.hailredskins.com/vbforum/...light=shanahan

Old 04-04-2012, 12:54 PM
hR Staff Writer

Even if the skins get a good season out of Smith/Brown, they still have major needs at both OG spots. If williams struggles or smokes up, the line will be a major problem.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_junior View Post
Are there guys like that? For the most part I see guys who play guard and center, and guys who can play RT and LT. Can O-Lineman back-up both the guard and tackle positions?
Usually if a guy is skilled enough to play LT or RT he should be able to play anywhere on the line. Obviously some guys are more natural fits (dependent upon physique) to play inside but tackles are usually versatile enough to be plugged in anywhere. So if we draft a RT such as Mitchell Schwartz in the 3rd round he could start off at RG before replacing the RT spot.

Quote:
Wasn't Willie Smith a rookie last year and he performed well. He is only going to get more familiar with the system and get better. We may be set with Willie. Chester needs to be replaced and that is why I was hoping to get an upgrade in FA. Maybe one of our 4ths go to his replacement.
I really enjoyed watching Willie Smith late last season, he was very impressive for a UDFA. But to roll the dice and expect him to perform like that throughout an entire season is too much of a gamble. If the Skins don't go RT in the 3rd or 4th rounds I'll be very disappointed.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:19 PM
Hunter

As far as getting Fletcher back... It's a must, even if it means cutting *gasp* DeAngelo Hall. Another huge need is NT, something that can make up for the secondary's incompetence through generating a trickle down effect of greater pressure for the front 7. RT/OG should be priority #1 with ILB and NT being tied for #2.

I wonder how many quality players will be available after June 1st cuts.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Code Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYSkinFan View Post
I have two words for you....Stephon Heyer

Sometimes a udfa can play well...for a rookie, but there is a reason they werent drafted, and that is because their upside is not that great. Whether its mental or physical they hit a ceiling.

My problem is we are in such a desperate need because we have ignored young quality depth for two years and with holes at NT, LB, DB, S, and depth needs at rb, de, olb, we could ignore the ol again or wait till the 7th round and udfa...which would be a big mistake.
Willie seemed much more consistent then Stephon to me. Maybe he will hit a ceiling, but I am betting based of last years play Shanny doesn't think Tackle is as major of need as the fanbase does. My guess for our first three picks are 3rd rounder CB, 4th Rounder ILB, 4th Rounder S.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:28 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Willie seemed much more consistent then Stephon to me. Maybe he will hit a ceiling, but I am betting based of last years play Shanny doesn't think Tackle is as major of need as the fanbase does. My guess for our first three picks are 3rd rounder CB, 4th Rounder ILB, 4th Rounder S.
The Raiders took my advice and moved Heyer to RG. He was a good player there last season.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:49 PM
Code Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhhorus View Post
The Raiders took my advice and moved Heyer to RG. He was a good player there last season.
The Raiders took my advice too and cut Jason Campbell.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:53 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
The Raiders took my advice too and cut Jason Campbell.
No, they didn't resign him. And maybe that had to do with giving up a first+more for the Corpse of Carson Palmer, no?

Old 04-04-2012, 02:04 PM
Code Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhhorus View Post
No, they didn't resign him. And maybe that had to do with giving up a first+more for the Corpse of Carson Palmer, no?
Right, they let him walk. In all fairness Carson Palmer was just as mediocre. Despite what they paid, if they thought JC gave them a better shot to win they would have kept him. We paid a handsome fee for McNabb and moved on in the same season.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:39 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Right, they let him walk. In all fairness Carson Palmer was just as mediocre.
Campbell was a good starter for them. If he hadn't gotten hurt for the season, they wouldn't have moved for Palmer.

Quote:
Despite what they paid, if they thought JC gave them a better shot to win they would have kept him. We paid a handsome fee for McNabb and moved on in the same season.
Considering that the Raiders gave up potentially 2 1sts for Palmer, there's no way on God's Green Earth that they would have resigned Campbell unless Palmer fell into the Bermuda triangle or was caught running a Siberian husky dog fighting ring. The McNabb situation isn't comparable at all. The skins dealt for McNabb during an offseason(for far less then what the Raiders paid for Palmer) and benched him before dealing him for far less.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:50 PM
hR Staff Writer

not to mention the raiders were happy with Campbell until he got hurt.

http://www.hailredskins.com/vbforum/...light=shanahan

Old 04-04-2012, 09:45 PM
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYSkinFan View Post
not to mention the raiders were happy with Campbell until he got hurt.
I am not sure any team is truly happy with a QB who throws for less than 200 yards a game, averages about 1 TD pass a game, and has a completion percentage of 60. I know I wasn't.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:58 PM
Spirit

Shanny is really rolling with ifs on the oline right now.
If brown stays healthy. If Trent doesn't smoke up.if kory is healed. Montgomery is an improving center. Chester had a few bright spots but otherwise sucked. They have got to sign some depth and draft atleast two olinemen. There are still some guards who can help a lot in free agency that Wil be cheap.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:19 PM
Chief

Quote:
Right, they let him walk. In all fairness Carson Palmer was just as mediocre. Despite what they paid, if they thought JC gave them a better shot to win they would have kept him. We paid a handsome fee for McNabb and moved on in the same season.
Well to be fair, JC put them in a position to make the playoffs before he got hurt. That's why they made the trade. JC played well enough to make the FO think they were a good team. Palmer then couldn't deliver on what JC set up for them.

The Raiders gave up more for Palmer then the Skins did for McNabb. They are married to him for better or worse. A healthy JC is better than Palmer at this point in their careers.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Firebuilder

I think our top priority should be OL. We have to give RG3 some protection and we have to be able to run effectively. I'm usually a defensive guy, but we have so many holes there that I think we should wait until next year to really address them, rather than patchwork. That said, I do look forward to seeing Jenkins back - I thought he had a lot of promise prior to the injury. Hopefully he can come back 100%.