Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Old 03-24-2012, 12:13 PM
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhhorus View Post
I'd like to see some figures about that. Snyder/Jones might have the most valuable franchises in the NFL(maybe), but in terms of revenue generated I'd bet that they're not even top ten(Dallas maybe with their new stadium). Nothing compares to TV ratings though.
I don't have time to explain all the ways Snyder and Jones have transformed the NFL as a revenue generating machine. However, there is a book called Brand NFL that touches on the subject. Attached is a link to the book online. You can check out pages 163-168 if you are interested in learning more about their influence on the NFL.

http://books.google.com/books?id=jWC...g e&q&f=false

Old 03-24-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
The league will say that the union and them agreed to change the CBA(which they did without announcing it) to punish teams that did that.
But the document that governed the uncapped year was the previous CBA which subsequently expired.
Just so I don't forget, I intend to remind the above poster about this quote.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:34 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Redskin View Post
I don't have time to explain all the ways Snyder and Jones have transformed the NFL as a revenue generating machine. However, there is a book called Brand NFL that touches on the subject. Attached is a link to the book online. You can check out pages 163-168 if you are interested in learning more about their influence on the NFL.

http://books.google.com/books?id=jWC...g e&q&f=false
I cannot argue that Snyder/Jones showed new pathways for teams to maximize their revenue streams, but thats different then 'they generate the most revenue for the NFL'. The skins aren't even in the top 10 of merchandise sales as of 2012. They don't contribute much to the TV ratings, they were only in 1 nighttime game in 2011(and 3 other "national" games). Even if you're right, the owners wouldn't want to harm this supposed golden goose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keino View Post
But the document that governed the uncapped year was the previous CBA which subsequently expired.
I know, we've been around this circle before. That probably won't fly with the arbitrator at all. The league will say that they were warned in the previous CBA of potential future punishments and they followed through.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:42 PM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keino View Post
The only way those warnings are admissible is if the CBA is ambiguous on what uncapped year means. I haven't read the old one, but given the ability of the attornies hat wrote the current one, I'm betting it's tough to show an ambiguity.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:45 PM
Papoose

RGIII could be the franchise signal caller the Redskins have been looking for but the price paid was awfully steep. Here's a quick read on it,

http://voices.yahoo.com/the-washingt...42.html?cat=14

If you took a look thanks!

Old 03-24-2012, 02:15 PM
Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud-n-Cleats View Post
RGIII could be the franchise signal caller the Redskins have been looking for but the price paid was awfully steep. Here's a quick read on it,

I'm assuming you're the author considering your thanks. A few things...

1. His competition wasn't exceptional? Maybe not the whole season, but are you discounting the wins over #14 TCU, #5 Oklahoma, #22 Texas? Never mind that RGIII had a generally subpar supporting cast meaning he pretty much carried the team on his shoulders.

2. You're reaching in trying to criticize his accuracy. His cumulative 4 year average is a 66% completion percentage, and an outstanding 72.4% in his final year. Besides stats though, just look at his game tape. He throws one of the nicest deep balls in college and he constantly hits his players in stride. Or maybe the release point matters more than statistics and game tape?

3. I admit I haven't watched every game, but I don't get the argument about wide open receivers. Yes it happens, but I'd say just as much as tight, or... normal coverage? I think RGIII hits his receivers in stride enabling them to get great YAC, which could lead to people thinking they were always wide open.

4. Yeah, WR is an issue which is why they went hard after Garcon and Morgan. Only time will tell how they'll all play out, but when grading our WR corps, consider who has been throwing the ball to them. Randy Moss was washed up in Oakland, but then left and had career years with Brady. If you paid attention last season, our wide receivers were getting open. They just weren't getting the ball. I'm looking forward to see what Garcon, Morgan, Hankerson, Paul, and I guess Moss & whoever will do this year. One thing to note is that this team now has some serious speed in all offensive skill positions.

5. Yeah the trade was costly, but that's what it cost. RGIII's a hot commodity and if you lowball, you end up like Holmgren and the Browns whining about not getting him. This team NEEDS a franchise QB. In fact, with the pass friendly NFL rules nowadays, EVERY team needs a franchise QB. And RGIII just has something special about him. Players like that are rare.

Last edited by guess88 : 03-24-2012 at 02:45 PM.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Hunter

Quote:
I don't quite know why this is a good thing....lol

Tracy Porter to sign a 1 year deal with the Broncos. I guess Shanny would rather pay Hall 6.6 million this year.
Its not a good thing. Its the only thing.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:33 PM
Ghost Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guess88 View Post
5. Yeah the trade was costly, but that's what it cost. RGIII's a hot commodity and if you lowball, you end up like Holmgren and the Browns whining about not getting him. This team NEEDS a franchise QB. In fact, with the pass friendly NFL rules nowadays, EVERY team needs a franchise QB. And RGIII just has something special about him. Players like that are rare.
I think Holmgren, with his whining, would trade positions with us in a second...

Old 03-24-2012, 03:00 PM

Location: Lawn Guyland, NY (my heart will always be in Arlington, Va)

Quote:

1. His competition wasn't exceptional? Maybe not the whole season, but are you discounting the wins over #14 TCU, #5 Oklahoma, #22 Texas? Never mind that RGIII had a generally subpar supporting cast meaning he pretty much carried the team on his shoulders.

2. You're reaching in trying to criticize his accuracy. His cumulative 4 year average is a 66% completion percentage, and an outstanding 72.4% in his final year. Besides stats though, just look at his game tape. He throws one of the nicest deep balls in college and he constantly hits his players in stride. Or maybe the release point matters more than statistics and game tape?

3. I admit I haven't watched every game, but I don't get the argument about wide open receivers. Yes it happens, but I'd say just as much as tight, or... normal coverage? I think RGIII hits his receivers in stride enabling them to get great YAC, which could lead to people thinking they were always wide open.

4. Yeah, WR is an issue which is why they went hard after Garcon and Morgan. Only time will tell how they'll all play out, but when grading our WR corps, consider who has been throwing the ball to them. Randy Moss was washed up in Oakland, but then left and had career years with Brady. If you paid attention last season, our wide receivers were getting open. They just weren't getting the ball. I'm looking forward to see what Garcon, Morgan, Hankerson, Paul, and I guess Moss & whoever will do this year. One thing to note is that this team now has some serious speed in all offensive skill positions.

Well said, Guess. I don't get how he can call Garcon "unproven". Sure, we may not know if he is a true number one but he is most certainly proven.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:20 PM
Papoose

Quote:

Players like that are rare.
I didn't quote the whole Post, but I agree with all you stated.

I must admit, I thought we paid too much as well.

But in the days since, I've reflected back on 21 QB's in 19 years.

With the growing importance of that position in today's game, you pay whatever price you need to.

RG3 or Luck- whichever it turns out to be - we will be getting elite level talent.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:23 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinsDave View Post
Well said, Guess. I don't get how he can call Garcon "unproven". Sure, we may not know if he is a true number one but he is most certainly proven.
Garcon might not be a 1000 yards a year guy, but it's hard to see how he won't be a 800 or so a year guy(if he's on the field primarily).

Old 03-24-2012, 03:42 PM
Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud-n-Cleats View Post

What an awful, inaccurate article. Wow that was bad.

Hi! My name is Salvatore

Old 03-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinsDave View Post
Thanks. I would say Garcon is a bit of a gamble as a #1, but he's also young and coming into his own. Considering the production he had with 3 different QB's last year I'm excited to see what he does here. My belief is that he was groomed to be Reggie Wayne's replacement, which is good company to have and a great mentor if they had that relationship. From a purely physical standpoint 6', 210lbs, with 4.4 speed is nothing to scoff at.

In fact, just looking at size and speed, our WR corps has a lot of potential.

Garcon - 6' - 210lbs - 4.4

Morgan - 6' - 219lbs - 4.4

Hankerson - 6'2" - 209lbs - 4.4

Paul - 6'1" - 224lbs - 4.4

Moss - 5'9" - 205lbs - 4.3 (back in 2001, but maybe 4.4 now? He still has good speed)

Armstrong - 5'11" - 180lbs - 4.3

Don't forget that Griffin ran a 4.3 and Helu ran a 4.4. We have to be one of the fastest teams in the league now.

Last edited by guess88 : 03-24-2012 at 04:43 PM. Reason: WR stats

Old 03-24-2012, 04:49 PM
Healer

Also, I don't know where Stanford's TE Coby Fleener is projected to go in the draft, but I'd be down for trading Davis for a 2nd rounder if that would enable us to get him.

It might be foolish, but the guy is 6'6", 247, and ran a 4.45!!! Doubt he makes it out of the first round though.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:28 PM
Medicine Man

Quote:
Also, I don't know where Stanford's TE Coby Fleener is projected to go in the draft, but I'd be down for trading Davis for a 2nd rounder if that would enable us to get him.

It might be foolish, but the guy is 6'6", 247, and ran a 4.45!!! Doubt he makes it out of the first round though.
Fleener looks to be someone who will have a very good career.