Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > Mohican Draft Tribe

Old 03-28-2012, 01:08 PM
Sachem

I'm pretty sure if Burfict even gets drafted, it's in the 6th or 7th round. One of the worst combines that I can remember by any prospect since I've been paying attention.

Ark, a few questions, mainly about teams trying to fill positions that are already theoretically strong:

1) The Bears just drafted Carimi with their #1 last year, and he totally looked like a great LT until his injury. You think they roll the dice on another T when they need a ton of help at safety? Conte looked OK, but it's clear that's at the top of their needs.

2) SF - think they'll go for another top-flight TE when they need CBs so badly? Maybe it makes sense if Davis is on the way out (I'm not familiar with where he is in his contract), but they just signed Perrish Cox...

Also, Reiff before Martin?

Great detail on the mock. I like the DFA mocks in general, but I don't watch a lot of college ball, so I mainly rely on mocks and a couple draft mags to get a feeling on talent. It's nice to get some descriptions on some of these guys.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:32 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
I think he'd be a wasted pick. A 5.1 40 is pretty damning and from what I saw of him he's an undisciplined player who looks for the big hit but more often than not fails to make the play. I don't have the stats in front of me but I recall Mayock's breakdown including something to the effect that he ddn't have more than 5 tackles in any single game last year...that's pretty weak for a guy with his buzz. Better players could be selected in the 4th.

He never got a DUI he got a minor in possession of alcohol with a reckless driving. He also got nabbed for peeing on a fence while underage, but I find myself unable to equate these incidents with true character flaws but YMMV.
It's incredible how much a guys stock can drop in just one season and off season. Going from a 1st team All-American in 2010 and potential top 10 pick to possibly going undrafted in a little over a year. As far as Mayock saying he didn't have more than 5 tackles in one game last season is flat out wrong. Burfict had a pretty bad 2011 where he played tentatively to reduce his flags and was benched his last two games during the coaching fiasco so his numbers were down. Obviously he needs to cut the immature crap out. I'm willing to bet sliding as badly as he will in the draft will humble him.

Quote:
I agree that the 'high character' tagline is flimsy. If guys can play then he, and most coaches, will over look a lot.
Apparently he hasn't done anything bad off the field (aside from burning his house down at 3) which is hard to believe. I'm simply hoping the light turns on for the guy when he gets put into a NFL program. If he gets into top shape and finds a way to reach the "Ray Lewis" natural talent level that scouts and his head coach Dennis Erickson (who coached Ray Lewis) have compared him to, he will be well worth it in the 4th.

It's not easy trying to sell Vontaze Burfict and every scouting report of him bombing the combine, his interviews, and pro day left doesn't help my case. However I can't help but watch this guys tape and hold out hope of seeing a motivated and conditioned Vontaze making a huge impact, especially in run blitzing and goal line stances.

He's probably the biggest boom or bust prospect in this draft and from what I've heard the Redskins were at his pro day.

http://www.houseofsparky.com/2012/3/...on-omar-bolden

Whether or not he's still on the Redskins board after his pro day is entirely up in the air.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKShape View Post
I'm pretty sure if Burfict even gets drafted, it's in the 6th or 7th round. One of the worst combines that I can remember by any prospect since I've been paying attention.

Ark, a few questions, mainly about teams trying to fill positions that are already theoretically strong:

1) The Bears just drafted Carimi with their #1 last year, and he totally looked like a great LT until his injury. You think they roll the dice on another T when they need a ton of help at safety? Conte looked OK, but it's clear that's at the top of their needs.

2) SF - think they'll go for another top-flight TE when they need CBs so badly? Maybe it makes sense if Davis is on the way out (I'm not familiar with where he is in his contract), but they just signed Perrish Cox...

Also, Reiff before Martin?

Great detail on the mock. I like the DFA mocks in general, but I don't watch a lot of college ball, so I mainly rely on mocks and a couple draft mags to get a feeling on talent. It's nice to get some descriptions on some of these guys.

Thanks, I do one mock a year so I try to make it as crisp as I can.

1. My reasoning for the Bears going Tackle and not wide receiver or safety is that the Bears whole season rides on Cutlers arm, we all witnessed that after they went on a losing streak and couldn't score to save their lives when Cutler went down. J'Marcus Webb was pretty awful last season and Jonathan Martin would be a big upgrade, Carimi can slide to the right side and be a big help there. The value of a safety isn't there at 19 unless Mark Barron falls. They probably go wideout or safety in the second round.

2. The 49ers pick is a tough one to project, they could use a CB but I feel like their defense is already good enough as it is and the offense could use a little more help.

As far as Reiff before Martin I would go with Reiff. I think he has more upside and natural ability.

Last edited by Arkangiest : 03-28-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:20 AM
Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkangiest View Post
It's incredible how much a guys stock can drop in just one season and off season. Going from a 1st team All-American in 2010 and potential top 10 pick to possibly going undrafted in a little over a year. As far as Mayock saying he didn't have more than 5 tackles in one game last season is flat out wrong. Burfict had a pretty bad 2011 where he played tentatively to reduce his flags and was benched his last two games during the coaching fiasco so his numbers were down. Obviously he needs to cut the immature crap out. I'm willing to bet sliding as badly as he will in the draft will humble him.
He didn't have more than 5 solo tackles in any game last year, but combining assist he was over that. Still, for a dominant LB 40 solo tackles in a season is low.

His status now either breaks him or it's a stark reality check, time will tell.

Quote:
Apparently he hasn't done anything bad off the field (aside from burning his house down at 3) which is hard to believe. I'm simply hoping the light turns on for the guy when he gets put into a NFL program. If he gets into top shape and finds a way to reach the "Ray Lewis" natural talent level that scouts and his head coach Dennis Erickson (who coached Ray Lewis) have compared him to, he will be well worth it in the 4th.
There was a report of him punching a teammate and that, in combination with his personal fouls (17 in 35 games), paints a certain picture.

I also can't see the Ray Lewis comparison. Burfict might be faster than his 5.0 40 yard but he is on the slow side for a LB. Lewis has always been able to run and his instincts are what make him a HoFamer. Burfict dominates smaller players but doesn't have great instincts and his tackling makes Laron Landry look like Dick Butkus.

Quote:
It's not easy trying to sell Vontaze Burfict and every scouting report of him bombing the combine, his interviews, and pro day left doesn't help my case. However I can't help but watch this guys tape and hold out hope of seeing a motivated and conditioned Vontaze making a huge impact, especially in run blitzing and goal line stances.

He's probably the biggest boom or bust prospect in this draft and from what I've heard the Redskins were at his pro day.

http://www.houseofsparky.com/2012/3/...on-omar-bolden

Whether or not he's still on the Redskins board after his pro day is entirely up in the air.
I don't think he's a lost cause and I'm sure someone takes a flier on him but I don't think he's a worthwhile risk for the Skins this year because of their reduced number of picks. It seems that in the middle rounds there are quite a few safer, arguably more accomplished LB's that they could pick.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
He didn't have more than 5 solo tackles in any game last year, but combining assist he was over that. Still, for a dominant LB 40 solo tackles in a season is low.

There was a report of him punching a teammate and that, in combination with his personal fouls (17 in 35 games), paints a certain picture.

I also can't see the Ray Lewis comparison. Burfict might be faster than his 5.0 40 yard but he is on the slow side for a LB. Lewis has always been able to run and his instincts are what make him a HoFamer. Burfict dominates smaller players but doesn't have great instincts and his tackling makes Laron Landry look like Dick Butkus.

I don't think he's a lost cause and I'm sure someone takes a flier on him but I don't think he's a worthwhile risk for the Skins this year because of their reduced number of picks. It seems that in the middle rounds there are quite a few safer, arguably more accomplished LB's that they could pick.
he is going to be difficult to manage as a pro.

he will come into the league with an attitude because he wont be drafted as highly as he thinks he should be

if he bombs, then he will be a wasted mid round pick

on the other hand, if he does well, he is going to expect and want to get paid in his second contract like a first rounder and , i predict will be a very problematic re-signing for his first team..
going to his second contract, there will be the same issues of whether he can be counted on to stay in shape and perform at a high level.

all in all, i wouldnt risk anything above a 5th rounder for him-- and even there, i would prefer to take a flier on a guy like Rainey, who has issues, but has been very productive as a college player

Old 03-29-2012, 11:06 AM
Medicine Man

I would only give him a shot as an UDFA.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:38 PM
Hunter

Quote:

I also can't see the Ray Lewis comparison. Burfict might be faster than his 5.0 40 yard but he is on the slow side for a LB. Lewis has always been able to run and his instincts are what make him a HoFamer. Burfict dominates smaller players but doesn't have great instincts and his tackling makes Laron Landry
look like Dick Butkus.

Very good points. I'm just blinded by upside. His character will probably be too much to handle.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:47 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkangiest View Post
Very good points. I'm just blinded by upside. His character will probably be too much to handle.
I have no problem with using a 6th or 7th on him. If he's a douche or sucks, just cut him and move on.