Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Old 03-30-2012, 10:50 AM
Ghost Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hail2skins View Post
I disagree with this with changing your entire offensive scheme. To me, you incorporate his strengths into your scheme. For example, if one of his strengths is mobility, then you move him around in the pocket by design. Roll left roll right. You also let him play from shotgun a lot since he's comfortable with it. Both runs and passes from shotgun formation. You still put him under center too.
i agree with the bold. players have to learn new systems all the time around the league. why is it only an issue when a new player comes to washington? you need to call plays to your teams strength, but changing an entire offense for one player is usually unheard of(unless youre tim tebow)...

Old 03-30-2012, 10:57 AM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bear View Post
i agree with the bold. players have to learn new systems all the time around the league. why is it only an issue when a new player comes to washington? you need to call plays to your teams strength, but changing an entire offense for one player is usually unheard of(unless youre tim tebow)...
I doubt anyone is talking about the extreme notion of changing an entire scheme, however Kyle has a reputation for not wanting to change anything about his scheme. I don't think there is anything wrong with adjusting your offense around a young qb you took high in the draft. Ron Rivera did it with cam Newton

http://www.hailredskins.com/vbforum/...light=shanahan

Old 03-30-2012, 11:06 AM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYSkinFan View Post
however Kyle has a reputation for not wanting to change anything about his scheme.
Does this reputation pre-date the Skins?

Old 03-30-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGREDSKINSFAN1963 View Post
when his strength is throwing the ball into the ground and one hopping passes to wrs 10 yards from the line of scrimmage,what play would you call?
It bears pointing out, because I know all most of us remembers is the worm killings, that McNabb at the time of his benching was leading the league in completions over 30 yards.

I look at his comments and sure, I see some bitterness, but I don't see anything that is inaccurate based on his experience. If anyone else said that Shanny lets his ego make deciesion for him, I don't think anyone around here would've batted an eyelash. Shanny's rep is that he is an egomaniac.
Just so I don't forget, I intend to remind the above poster about this quote.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_junior View Post
Why does that matter? That's how he conducted himself as OC of the Skins. He likely didn't have the same level of control in Houston.
Just so I don't forget, I intend to remind the above poster about this quote.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:09 AM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
he formed his system under Matt Schaub...he does not have a reputation pre-dating the skins really. The hypothesis is Kyle became OC in Houston with a particualr set of offensive skills with Schaub, Johnson, and Foster. he never adjusted hios scheme to other players he coached with the skins, in particular the qb position

http://www.hailredskins.com/vbforum/...light=shanahan

Old 03-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keino View Post
Why does that matter? That's how he conducted himself as OC of the Skins. He likely didn't have the same level of control in Houston.
It matters if the only reason people think this reputation exists is because of a combination of the team's W/L record and the complaints of McNabb and his agent.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYSkinFan View Post
he formed his system under Matt Schaub...he does not have a reputation pre-dating the skins really. The hypothesis is Kyle became OC in Houston with a particualr set of offensive skills with Schaub, Johnson, and Foster. he never adjusted hios scheme to other players he coached with the skins, in particular the qb position
I guess my counter would be that the problem he's had with the Skins have had far more to do with the quality of the QBs than any lack of adjustments.

If you want to argue that it's ultimately his fault for helping bring McNabb, Grossman, Beck, etc. to town, that's another thing. But I don't think system adjustments can offset bad play from the quarterback position.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKShape View Post
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ahans-offense/

I agree with a lot of what he says here, especially the idea that the Shanahans' force people into their system vs. playing to their talents.

At the end of the day though, it just sounds like a sad old man, pouting at the idea that he's no longer needed. It almost sounds like he's trying to blame his free-fall 100% on the Shanahans. He needs to accept some personal responsibility with the way his career has fizzled out.
I am much more skewed to the latter. He is bitter and maybe tryingh to make a career post football.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:38 AM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hail2skins View Post
I disagree with this with changing your entire offensive scheme. To me, you incorporate his strengths into your scheme. For example, if one of his strengths is mobility, then you move him around in the pocket by design. Roll left roll right. You also let him play from shotgun a lot since he's comfortable with it. Both runs and passes from shotgun formation. You still put him under center too.
What I said:
"McNabb is essentially saying that the skins should tailor the offense to RG3's talents(go to more spread)".

Tailoring isnt changing. Tailoring is adjusting to fit.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:39 AM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
I guess my counter would be that the problem he's had with the Skins have had far more to do with the quality of the QBs than any lack of adjustments.

If you want to argue that it's ultimately his fault for helping bring McNabb, Grossman, Beck, etc. to town, that's another thing. But I don't think system adjustments can offset bad play from the quarterback position.
You can't say Kyyle's problems are linked to the quality of the QBs because he chose the QBs outside of McNabb(Pretty clear that was his father's move).

Old 03-30-2012, 11:40 AM
Great Spirit

Casey Rabach made some comments regarding the McNabb v Shanahans story that are kind of interesting:

Quote:
“You know, all I wanted to do was win football games,” Rabach said. “That’s all I wanted to do. So anything that would have helped...put us in a better position to win football games, yeah, you definitely hope that. There’s definitely some strong egos in the NFL, and there [were] three of the strongest egos right there in Redskins Park. So it’s hard to fit all that together, and build a cohesion in such a short time. But definitely wish it would have went the other way.”

So was McNabb mis-used in Washington?

“I mean, that’s a tough one to answer,” Rabach replied. “Because Donovan knows what his strengths are. And were they using all his strengths to the fullest? No. But then again, we go back to that give-and-take, on both sides. Donovan’s got to understand that what he did in Philly for 12 years ain’t gonna be the same thing he was gonna do on another team. I think he was used in some [ways] very good, but I think there could have been some more give on each side.”
Quote:
On the sour coach-quarterback relationship: “I think they asked Donovan to do a lot of things that he wasn’t comfortable with, and it was never a give-and-take kind of relationship. It was Mike and Kyle’s way, and only that way. I think Donovan wanted to change a few things to his strengths, and do things he knew he was good at. Mike and Kyle had one way of doing it, and Donovan had another way of doing it, and they just butted heads, and nobody was gonna give.”
Quote:
On whether players should just do what coaches say: “You know, to be honest with you, I like the situation where there’s a give-and-take on both sides. I like an offense that tailors the offensive strength to the strengths of the player, [not] asking a player to do something that he knows he’s not gonna succeed in...Donovan knew he was successful at doing things a certain way for 12 years in Philly. You know, I don’t think you have to do everything that Donovan was great at. It’s hard, because the Shanahans have obviously a lot of good years and had a lot of success over the years. Give-and-take would have been great, though.”

Old 03-30-2012, 11:42 AM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhhorus View Post
You can't say Kyyle's problems are linked to the quality of the QBs because he chose the QBs outside of McNabb(Pretty clear that was his father's move).
There are two pieces to the job: Personnel acquisition and actual coaching.

I'll concede that whoever was in charge of bringing in the QBs made a mistake. If it was Mike and Kyle, then they are to blame for adding mediocre players.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:46 AM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
There are two pieces to the job: Personnel acquisition and actual coaching.

I'll concede that whoever was in charge of bringing in the QBs made a mistake. If it was Mike and Kyle, then they are to blame for adding mediocre players.
As JLC reported last year: The coaches on the Skins' staff feel that Kyyle has an unusual amount of say over personnel. Also, I can link the Rex moves(and playing him) to Kyyle. Rex is Kyyle's f*ck up(and Mike for not putting his foot down).

Old 03-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhhorus View Post
As JLC reported last year: The coaches on the Skins' staff feel that Kyyle has an unusual amount of say over personnel. Also, I can link the Rex moves(and playing him) to Kyyle. Rex is Kyyle's f*ck up(and Mike for not putting his foot down).
I'm not arguing with you about the personnel component of this. I'm separating bringing players to town with how you coach them once they are there.