Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > Mohican Draft Tribe

Old 04-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Warrior

3rd - RB; 4th RB,RB; 5th - RB; 6th - RB; 7th - RB.

Just kidding. I think 2 of the 3 picks in round 3/4 will be on best OL available and the rest of the picks will go BPA. Agree with others that's his mantra, more or less.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:54 PM
Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhhorus View Post
I disagree. Outside of the Trent Williams pick(which could be called both) and the impending Rg3 pick, the rest of Shanny's drafts here have been almost exclusively BPA. Here's his picks in DC, I've bolded the BPA picks(imo):
1 16 Ryan Kerrigan LB Purdue
2 41 Jarvis Jenkins DE Clemson (getting Bowen was the overkill)
3 79 Leonard Hankerson WR Miami (Fla.)
4 105 Roy Helu RB Nebraska
5 146 DeJon Gomes DB Nebraska
5 155 Niles Paul WR Nebraska
6 177 Evan Royster RB Penn State
6 178 Aldrick Robinson WR Southern Methodist
7 213 Brandyn Thompson DB Boise State
7 217 Maurice Hurt G Florida
7 224 Markus White LB Florida State
7 253 Chris Neild NT West Virginia

1 4 Trent Williams T Oklahoma
4 103 Perry Riley LB LSU
6 174 Dennis Morris TE Louisiana Tech
7 219 Terrence Austin WR UCLA

7 229 Erik Cook C New Mexico
7 231 Selvish Capers T West Virginia
Thats what Im saying though Akh. I understand where you're coming from, but all of those picks highlighted were a position of need also. Ive highlighted (above who I agree with you on though). OUtside of Perry Riley, all these are 5th round and mostly later...where EVERYONE picks BPA.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:01 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by culpeper View Post
Thats what Im saying though Akh. I understand where you're coming from, but all of those picks highlighted were a position of need also. Ive highlighted (above who I agree with you on though). OUtside of Perry Riley, all these are 5th round and mostly later...where EVERYONE picks BPA.
Kerrigan and jenkins certainly weren't need picks. Especially Kerrigan. LoAlex was 2nd alternate to the pro bowl in 2010 and you had Carter, Jackson and Chris Wilson on the roster also. Hankerson, you might have a case with, but they clearly intended on flooding the roster with FA WRs(this is also why I think Jenkins wasn't a need pick, there were a lot of rumors about signing FA DEs prior to the draft). Helu wasn't a need with Torain, Williams, Portis and some young guys. Gomes also wasn't a need with Landry, Horton, The Witness, Russell etc at strong safety already.

Even if you just want to look at the first 3-4 rounds, its hard to say that they're not going BPA. You disagree, but I think I've made my case.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:48 PM
Sentinel

Quote:
Kerrigan and jenkins certainly weren't need picks. Especially Kerrigan. LoAlex was 2nd alternate to the pro bowl in 2010
As a special teamer. Hes better suited at ILB and thats where they were moving him to in the offseason

Quote:
and you had Carter, Jackson and Chris Wilson on the roster also.
Carter should have been traded the SECOND we decided to go 3/4. Jackson was raw but interesting. I will agree on Wilson. I think he had all the tools. No idea why the FO didnt like him. Either way, Kerrigan was an upgrade from day 1 and we were targeting a pass rusher...just maybe not him specifically.

Quote:
Hankerson, you might have a case with, but they clearly intended on flooding the roster with FA WRs(this is also why I think Jenkins wasn't a need pick, there were a lot of rumors about signing FA DEs prior to the draft).
I get that, but the draft happened before FA started, so you couldnt draft on rumors. I agree with this logic from the FA POV. In hindsight Im glad we got Bowen, but at the time it was overkill.

Quote:
Helu wasn't a need with Torain, Williams, Portis and some young guys. Gomes also wasn't a need with Landry, Horton, The Witness, Russell etc at strong safety already.
Agree with Gomes, especially considering he was a CB/S tweener. Disagree completely about Helu. Shanny stockpiles RB's and we needed a new lineup ASAP. Moved up to get him too. Thats not what I consider BPA style.

I would have liked to see Davis get some touches, but he couldnt compete evidently.

Quote:
Even if you just want to look at the first 3-4 rounds, its hard to say that they're not going BPA. You disagree, but I think I've made my case.
You have, and Im not saying you're entirely wrong. Im just saying that its not like they simply turned a blind eye to the needs on the roster (except for OL, HA). There has not been a pick in the first 3-4 rounds with Shanny that has been a "BPA/we followed our board/Fred Davis" pick IMO. They may have been guided by the board and who was available (as it should be), but it wasnt at random.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:56 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
As a special teamer. Hes better suited at ILB and thats where they were moving him to in the offseason
And he was a 2nd alternate to the pro bowl as an OLB.

Quote:
Carter should have been traded the SECOND we decided to go 3/4. Jackson was raw but interesting. I will agree on Wilson. I think he had all the tools. No idea why the FO didnt like him. Either way, Kerrigan was an upgrade from day 1 and we were targeting a pass rusher...just maybe not him specifically.
Not saying Kerrigan wasn't an upgrade, but it's not the question. Its a question if the skins had a need at OLB or not.

Quote:
I get that, but the draft happened before FA started, so you couldnt draft on rumors. I agree with this logic from the FA POV. In hindsight Im glad we got Bowen, but at the time it was overkill.
They had Carriker, Haynesworth, Jarmon, Vonnie Holliday, Golston and the Corpse of Philip Daniels on the roster when they drafted Jenkins. No way was DE a need imo.

Quote:
Disagree completely about Helu. Shanny stockpiles RB's and we needed a new lineup ASAP. Moved up to get him too. Thats not what I consider BPA style.
If it was a late pick like Royster, maybe. But Royster was a BPA because they took Helu.

Quote:
I would have liked to see Davis get some touches, but he couldnt compete evidently.
A lot of Clemson players suddenly aren't as fast/strong when they get away from the...umm...chemical assistance that they *might* get in Pickens County...

Quote:
You have, and Im not saying you're entirely wrong. Im just saying that its not like they simply turned a blind eye to the needs on the roster (except for OL, HA). There has not been a pick in the first 3-4 rounds with Shanny that has been a "BPA/we followed our board/Fred Davis" pick IMO. They may have been guided by the board and who was available (as it should be), but it wasnt at random.
We'll just have to disagree.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:01 PM
Hunter

It's a tough call on who would be available by pick 69 but we can expect some gems to be there. Lets hope the BPA is one of great need.

Personally I'm crossing my fingers for a few guys.

Amini Silatolu the OG from Midwestern State. He's raw but the guy should be a monster.

Antonio Allen the SS from South Carolina. I don't have much faith that Merriweather will be the answer after getting dumped by two teams in two years.

Alameda Ta'amu the NT from Washington. Akh has already pointed this monster out on a few occaisions.

So all in all I have three guys, all names that start with an A with two Samoans in the trenches.

Skill guys I could see Shannallenhan being too tempted to take would be.

Ryan Broyles the WR from Oklahoma. The guy was a first round talent before getting injured.

LaMichael James the RB from Oregon. Dude is fast... Nuff said.

Isaiah Pead the RB from Cincinnati. A great zone runner, might be too much for Shanny to resist.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkangiest View Post
It's a tough call on who would be available by pick 69 but we can expect some gems to be there. Lets hope the BPA is one of great need.

Amini Silatolu the OG from Midwestern State. He's raw but the guy should be a monster.

Antonio Allen the SS from South Carolina. I don't have much faith that Merriweather will be the answer after getting dumped by two teams in two years.

Alameda Ta'amu the NT from Washington. Akh has already pointed this monster out on a few occaisions.

So all in all I have three guys, all names that start with an A with two Samoans in the trenches.

Ryan Broyles the WR from Oklahoma. The guy was a first round talent before getting injured.

Isaiah Pead the RB from Cincinnati. A great zone runner, might be too much for Shanny to resist.
i tend to agree that at least one of the picks from 3/4/4 will be used on a skilled player for offense.. a guy like Pead or James who can take it to the end zone if he gets out in the open.. or perhaps even Rainey, earlier than expected because of his world class speed.. or even a receiver like Toon or Criner or Adams.. i think ultimately the 3 picks above will end up OL/CB/WR-RB not necessarily in that order..

you look at Shanahan's record and you simply have to assume he is going to take a running back somewhere in the draft..

Old 04-11-2012, 07:24 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shally View Post
i tend to agree that at least one of the picks from 3/4/4 will be used on a skilled player for offense.. a guy like Pead or James who can take it to the end zone if he gets out in the open.. or perhaps even Rainey, earlier than expected because of his world class speed.. or even a receiver like Toon or Criner or Adams.. i think ultimately the 3 picks above will end up OL/CB/WR-RB not necessarily in that order..

you look at Shanahan's record and you simply have to assume he is going to take a running back somewhere in the draft..
I concur.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:40 AM
Ghost Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkangiest View Post

Oh my god, our defense packed with Samoans and dreadlocks??? We will be unstoppable.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:49 AM
Sentinel

Quote:
And he was a 2nd alternate to the pro bowl as an OLB.
Huh, didnt know that.

Still, he only played half of the games because we were square-peg-round-holing AC. IMO LoA was always better suited for ILB. There were obvious limitations at the OLB spot (coverage and rushing the passer from the edge).

Quote:
Not saying Kerrigan wasn't an upgrade, but it's not the question. Its a question if the skins had a need at OLB or not.
Ill agree but only because of Wilson. Obviously they didnt like him though for whatever reason. So with that in mind and LoA moving to ILB, that was a position of need IMO. They stated early on that a pash rusher was a NEED and in the 3/4 thats typically the OLBs as you already know

Quote:
They had Carriker, Haynesworth, Jarmon, Vonnie Holliday, Golston and the Corpse of Philip Daniels on the roster when they drafted Jenkins. No way was DE a need imo.
IDK man, I bet if we go back we were all talking about needing an upgrade at DL (mostly NT, I know). Haynesworth had one foot out the door, VH & PD were WAY too old to still be playing, and Jarmon or Golston are not prototype 3/4 DEs. We needed a DE IMO and now that we've laid it all out, we HAD to sign Bowen IMO.

Quote:
If it was a late pick like Royster, maybe. But Royster was a BPA because they took Helu.
Agree 100% about Royster, but everyone turns over to BPA at some point in the draft (round 4 or typically 5). So your position that we will just pick BPA isnt wrong considering we dont pick again till the 3rd. A couple weeks ago before all these signings, I would have bet the house that we targeted specific positions though.

Quote:
A lot of Clemson players suddenly aren't as fast/strong when they get away from the...umm...chemical assistance that they *might* get in Pickens County...
LMAO! Your fanhood is showing, haha

Quote:
We'll just have to disagree.
Fair enough. I dont think we're all that far off from each other anyhow.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:04 AM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Huh, didnt know that.

Still, he only played half of the games because we were square-peg-round-holing AC. IMO LoA was always better suited for ILB. There were obvious limitations at the OLB spot (coverage and rushing the passer from the edge).

Ill agree but only because of Wilson. Obviously they didnt like him though for whatever reason. So with that in mind and LoA moving to ILB, that was a position of need IMO. They stated early on that a pash rusher was a NEED and in the 3/4 thats typically the OLBs as you already know
They also had Perry Riley on the roster, who was an OLB in college(but has since moved inside) and Rob Jackson, a dedicated Rush Lb.

Quote:
IDK man, I bet if we go back we were all talking about needing an upgrade at DL (mostly NT, I know). Haynesworth had one foot out the door, VH & PD were WAY too old to still be playing, and Jarmon or Golston are not prototype 3/4 DEs. We needed a DE IMO and now that we've laid it all out, we HAD to sign Bowen IMO.
Then sign Bowen and someone else. Using a top 45 pick on a player that you already have plenty of bodies at(nevermind that its hardly a premium position in the 3-4 defense) can't be seen as anything but BPA. Personally my theory is that they were expecting to take another player(Kaepernick almost certainly) and when he wasn't there they just took the highest rated player on their board.

Quote:
LMAO! Your fanhood is showing, haha
Perhaps, but even putting aside my feelings: Clemson players always seem to mysteriously be slower/weaker then they were at school(cough cough Gaines Adams cough cough), and they have had a rep for years for being "sleepy eyed"(read: lazy) and soft.

Last edited by akhhorus : 04-13-2012 at 07:33 AM.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:44 PM
Spirit

really hoping for dwight bentley to be available at pick 69. i think he has a ton of potential. i think that shanny will stick with bpa at every position other then OLB.even at olb i could see them taking kadduu from oregon in the 7th if hes there

Old 04-13-2012, 01:34 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSkin View Post
Oh my god, our defense packed with Samoans and dreadlocks??? We will be unstoppable.
Silly good!

I'm getting more and more pumped, can't wait for the draft.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:08 PM
Sentinel

Quote:
They also had Perry Riley on the roster, who was an OLB in college(but has since moved inside) and Rob Jackson, a dedicated Rush Lb.
Riley projected to ILB in a 3/4, strong side OLB 4/3 if Im not mistaken? They may not have been targeting Kerrigan, Ill give you that argument all day long, but I think they were going pass rusher no matter what.

Quote:
Then sign Bowen and someone else. Using a top 45 pick on a player that you already have plenty of bodies at(nevermind that its hardly a premium position in the 3-4 defense) can't be seen as anything but BPA. Personally my theory is that they were expecting to take another player(Kaepernick almost certainly) and when he wasn't there they just took the highest rated player on their board.
That could absolutely be the case

Quote:
Perhaps, but even putting aside my feelings: Clemson players always seem to mysteriously be slower/weaker then they were at school(cough cough Gaines Adams cough cough), and they have had a rep for years for being "sleepy eyed"(read: lazy) and soft.
Ive never noticed it. IMO the ACC is a poor conference and Clemson players have not projected well to the NFL since I can remember. (I say that as a WVU fan, formerly of the BIG LEAST, sending very few players to the league. But we win 70-33

Old 04-13-2012, 06:46 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Riley projected to ILB in a 3/4, strong side OLB 4/3 if Im not mistaken? They may not have been targeting Kerrigan, Ill give you that argument all day long, but I think they were going pass rusher no matter what.
He was a Will in college and drafted as such. They might have been going OLB in 2010, but it wasn't a need.

Quote:
Ive never noticed it. IMO the ACC is a poor conference and Clemson players have not projected well to the NFL since I can remember. (I say that as a WVU fan, formerly of the BIG LEAST, sending very few players to the league. But we win 70-33
That's been talked about for years.