Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Old 04-18-2012, 04:52 PM
hR Owner

There are tweets that say his account was hacked.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:54 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by hail2skins View Post
There are tweets that say his account was hacked.
saw that.. might be the best defense he can come up with...

Old 04-18-2012, 04:54 PM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hail2skins View Post
He's a solid possession receiver which I believe we knew when we got him.
Exactly. I don't know how anybody could complain about what Gaffney gave us last season. For $2.5 million we got our money's worth.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:00 PM
Sachem

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYSkinFan View Post
bag of balls?
I have been thinking that we were going to trade Gaffney and Brown for a while now. I think a 6th-rounder for Gaffney sounds about right. He would have value to a team with a young developing QB that needs a reliable veteran who runs good routes and catches everything thrown at him. Gaffney can be of use to a team like that, but those kind of players don't commend much in trade unless they are 90-100 catch guys like Welker and Boldin (and even then, they are undervalued in the trade market). The Bucs, Colts (although they already have Wayne), Vikings, Rams. Seahawks, Dolphins, Jaguars, and I am sure that there are others, could use a guy like Gaffney. He can also be a bridge to transition to younger WRs, buying a rebuilding team a year or two of decent play to give them time to draft/groom an eventual replacement (kind of what he did here).
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYSkinFan View Post
he is right, it is most definitely not because he is a 31 year old route runner with no YAC who was only traded for to work with Rex in a failed attempt to resurrect his career
Rex and Jabar will always have the 2011 Redskins. Unfortunately, so will we.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_junior View Post
I tend to agree with him. After a career year there's almost no chance we get equal value back for a guy that age. Trading him doesn't make a ton of sense without other factors.
In theory, I agree with you. But Gaffney is not going to make the team this year. If there is room for a veteran WR on our squad, the FO obviously prefers Moss, which makes sense because really good slot WRs are hard to find, and Moss is one year removed from a 1000-yard season in the slot. Trading Gaffney suggests that the FO believes Moss to be healthy and ready to go for 2012. Given that Moss couldn't report to Redskins Park until two days ago, the timing of this information seems to bear this out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by koepke25 View Post
I also read that the Bucs are trying to trade Talib. I think this a perfect swap with a conditional late pick coming to us if Talib ends up in jail after his hearing in a few months.
We need another CB and Gaffney can go back to FL.
The Bucs are kidding themselves if they think they are going to get anything for Talib. Maybe Belichik gives them a conditional 6th or 7th, but he is going to be possibly jailed, definitely suspended, and even if free to play is a terrible human being who is beyond coaching and can only screw up a locker room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy View Post
Wow, I didn't realize he had 947 yards last year!
They were very quiet yards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinfanjon View Post
I don't get the Gaffney hate. He's a reliable chain-mover and a stabilizing force amongst a number of question marks at the receiver position. If they want to explore his market value, cool, but I don't want to just give him away.

Right now we have 2 FA's being asked to fill large roles; Is Garcon going to transition well and make a 70 catch impact? Is Morgan going to make it through the season and finally cash in on his talent? What about Moss, how will he adapt to the lesser role and will he play in the slot? Is Hankerson healthy and can he play like the guy that showed up in Miami on a regular basis? And then there's guys like Austin, Armstrong, and Paul...do they even make the team? Armstrong is a one-trick pony it seems, and he's not very good at that particular trick. Austin may just need an opportunity, but we've been saying that for several seasons. Paul is a decent special team-er and a solid blocker, but what'd he catch last year, two balls? He's an easy cut imo.
Morgan just did. Now the question is, will we cash in on his talent?

Quote:
Maybe it boils down to a choice between Moss and Gaffney, in which case I'd drop Santana. I've long since been over the key drops and inopportune fumbles. I'd be just fine letting Gaffney play the slot this year and rotate in, at least you have a firm idea what you're getting.
I don't think Gaffney is quick, fast or sudden enough to make a big impact in the slot at this point in his career. Moss has lost some speed but is still very quick when he is healthy.

Quote:
Those other factors are pretty tame in today's NFL, if you ask me. So he embarrassed himself on twitter, who cares? It's not like he ran over a person in a crosswalk while intoxicated. Oh wait, we didn't appear to have a problem with that one.
Leonard Little played what, 10-12 years with the Rams? And he would have been playing for us in 2010 (and maybe beyond) if he had not decided to retire instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shally View Post
i think this is about getting something for nothing.. just as it was pretty obvious that Jarmon was a long shot to make the team, and he was traded for Gaffney- who proved to be useful and productive

so, at this point it may be that Gaffney is now a long shot to make the team, despite his production last year, and Shanahan is trying to convert it into a player, or pick who will be useful this year
I think you hit the nail on the head. For the same reason, I expect Jammal Brown to be traded as well. I think if we get the OT we want in Round 3 or even Round 4, we trade Brown to the highest bidder. I am thinking a playoff team that needs a quality swing tackle makes the most sense. Brown's contract is not onerous, and he can back up both LT and RT. He might even be willing to restructure for the right team. I am thinking the Ravens for a 5th-round pick. Not a bad trade for both teams.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:02 PM
Chief

Quote:
Exactly. I don't know how anybody could complain about what Gaffney gave us last season. For $2.5 million we got our money's worth.
I'd rather trade moss over gaffney,or get rid of austin or paul.if paul makes the team,i can't see banks making the team.

Forgiveness is the fragrance the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it."
—Mark Twain

“If you want to walk the heavenly streets of gold, you gotta know the password, “Roll, Tide, Roll!”

Paul"Bear"Bryant

Old 04-18-2012, 05:12 PM
Sachem

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanburgerBum View Post
So, it was all personal stuff, nothing reflecting badly about his relationship to the team. While I am a little concerned about his mental stability--I certainly wouldn't want him to show up with a gun a Redskins Park and going "postal"--it sounds to be unrelated to football.

I was originally against the trade that brought him here, but I have to admit that I thought he had a good year in 2011--almost a thousand yards receiving. I don't think he will fetch much in a trade at his age, so why not just let him compete in training camp and may the best 5-6 WRs make the roster.
I respect Gaffney's play, but 1000 yards is not what it used to be. With the way the league has gotten so pass-oriented, and 4,000 (and even 5,000) yard seasons becoming much more common, a starting WR who averages 4 catches and 59 yards per game is really not very impressive. A good team has to have a more productive starting WR. And Gaffney was our #1 WR option for most of the year. I support trading him because if he we can't do better than him this year at WR, we are not going anywhere anyway. We can have a terrible passing game with or without him.

Quote:
I agree. I don't dislike Gaffney as a player, he was solid, but he does not have the speed to allow us to take advantage of RGIII's deep passing skills, and he is not a good enough possession receiver to be a #1 option. He served us well for a year, but I would take what we can get for him.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:39 PM
Ghost Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGREDSKINSFAN1963 View Post
I'd rather trade moss over gaffney,or get rid of austin or paul.if paul makes the team,i can't see banks making the team.
who cares about banks? i'd rather keep paul and austin over banks when it comes to being a WR. banks only value is kick and punt returning. he contributes nothing at WR, and we dont run that many trick plays. banks is only going to make the team with another big preseason. atleast paul and austin have seen some time on the field. part of the reason is they block, banks isnt blocking anyone. shanny loves WRs that block and block well...

Old 04-18-2012, 09:06 PM
Shaman

Gaffney was a good get gave us our money's worth capable of beating average coverage but can't get free against good man coverage. He was always a stop gap. Time to move on.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:31 PM
Ghost Dancer

Right Jabar, someone hacked your twitter feed to write nasty things about your ex.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:50 PM
Shaman

I will say that if I had to choose between gaffney or moss, I would pick gaffney. But I can't complain if we get rid of them both in favor of youth movement.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:06 PM
Spirit

The team has gone through a slew of one-year WR - and it looks like Gaffney will be another one of them. I'm glad because we need to get some stability at WR for our new QB. I hope Gaffney gets onto another team, but when they don't even ask you to come to conditioning camp, that's a message.

The twitter thing is just a distraction also, that the coaches don't need or want. Looks like we'll see Moss for this one final season.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:32 AM
Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspring View Post
I will say that if I had to choose between gaffney or moss, I would pick gaffney. But I can't complain if we get rid of them both in favor of youth movement.
I was Gaffney's biggest advocate after the trade last year but IMO, you keep Moss because he can play multiple spots. He's still got enough speed to get deep and has unique quickness in the slot. Gaffney is reliable but the signings of the new guys and with Hankerson and Paul in the mix make him more expendable and if they can get a late pick for him then they should do it.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:05 AM

I didn't understand the point of bringing in Gaffney last year, but will say that his production surprised me. I don't really see the point in cutting him now. It makes, in my view, bringing him on last year an even more stupid move since his presence meant less reps and opportunity from a younger WR all for a 1-year rental. It seems to me, the WR to cut is Moss. Gaffney, while I don't care for him, showed himself to be fairly reliable as a possession WR.

The only way it makes sense to me is if the team needs the cap space, but again, it should be looking to dump Moss' number IMO. Of course, I would have probably gotten rid of Moss during the uncapped season. He is no longer explosive and he is not reliable as a possession WR. His untimely drops are infuriating. Obviously I disagree with Moe's thinking that Moss can play multiple positions. At this point he can play the slot and that's it. I think we need explosiveness out the slot rather than a midget possession receiver with drop issues.
Just so I don't forget, I intend to remind the above poster about this quote.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:55 AM
Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keino View Post
I didn't understand the point of bringing in Gaffney last year, but will say that his production surprised me. I don't really see the point in cutting him now. It makes, in my view, bringing him on last year an even more stupid move since his presence meant less reps and opportunity from a younger WR all for a 1-year rental. It seems to me, the WR to cut is Moss. Gaffney, while I don't care for him, showed himself to be fairly reliable as a possession WR.

The only way it makes sense to me is if the team needs the cap space, but again, it should be looking to dump Moss' number IMO. Of course, I would have probably gotten rid of Moss during the uncapped season. He is no longer explosive and he is not reliable as a possession WR. His untimely drops are infuriating. Obviously I disagree with Moe's thinking that Moss can play multiple positions. At this point he can play the slot and that's it. I think we need explosiveness out the slot rather than a midget possession receiver with drop issues.
Agreed. I would let Gaffney compete for a spot on the roster. Moss is very talented, but lacks focus & discipline at times. Hankerson showed a flash of brilliance, but his torn labrum, and his Landry-esque refusal to deal with the injury promptly raises concern. Niles, Austin & Banks need to prove themselves. Gaffney had no YAC, but was clutch and moved the chains. Let him compete.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Chief Moderator

For some strange reason, I could see Moss/RG3 combo being successful like the Cam/SteveSmith one was last year. A vet who is a good outlet for a rookie. I think Steve Smith is much better than Moss, but I could still see Moss step it up for Robert. Just IMO.