Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Old 04-19-2012, 07:37 PM
Sachem

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasSkinsFan View Post
Didnt need to start a new thread so i am putting this here. Just saw a tweet that Niles Paul has been working/meeting with the TE group. Wonder if its to work more on blocking type stuff or planning to have him bulk up, or is this just par for the course meaning do wr's do this??
Maybe they view Paul as a Shannon Sharpe-type hybrid WR/TE in Shanny's system. Also maybe a hedge against Cooley's knee and Davis's urine.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:50 AM
Healer

Quote:
Maybe they view Paul as a Shannon Sharpe-type hybrid WR/TE in Shanny's system. Also maybe a hedge against Cooley's knee and Davis's urine.
He's a physical player so this could simply be him working on technique or possibly they will use him in some sort of hybrid spot at times. It's super rare for players to physically transform themselves to different roles entirely and at 225lbs. currently it'd be asking a lot for him to add 20+ lbs. and retain his natural skills.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:04 AM
Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
He's a physical player so this could simply be him working on technique or possibly they will use him in some sort of hybrid spot at times. It's super rare for players to physically transform themselves to different roles entirely and at 225lbs. currently it'd be asking a lot for him to add 20+ lbs. and retain his natural skills.
Paul said they want him playing at 238 max and that 234 is a more natural weight for him.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:18 PM
Shaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skins7ny View Post
I respect Gaffney's play, but 1000 yards is not what it used to be. With the way the league has gotten so pass-oriented, and 4,000 (and even 5,000) yard seasons becoming much more common, a starting WR who averages 4 catches and 59 yards per game is really not very impressive. A good team has to have a more productive starting WR. And Gaffney was our #1 WR option for most of the year. I support trading him because if he we can't do better than him this year at WR, we are not going anywhere anyway. We can have a terrible passing game with or without him.

I agree. I don't dislike Gaffney as a player, he was solid, but he does not have the speed to allow us to take advantage of RGIII's deep passing skills, and he is not a good enough possession receiver to be a #1 option. He served us well for a year, but I would take what we can get for him.

You have a point about 1000 receiving yards not being that big a deal any more. But, didn't the receiver (Garcon) we paid big bucks to sign have about the same receiving yardage as Gaffney last year?

In any event, I don't feel strongly about Gaffney one way or the other. It seems only fair that the leading receiver be brought back to compete for a roster spot, but I wouldn't lose any sleep either if he were dumped.

I sort of get a feeling that the front office is concerned about Gaffney's mental stability more than anything. It seems that the team just doesn't want him to be at Redskins Park. It is almost as if the coaches are worried that he could go postal.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:40 PM
Chief

I wonder if they asked Gaffney to give up the no 10 and he said no...LOL. If that comes out then shame on them...LOL

May the LORD watch between me and thee, while we're abscent from one another....
May his peace be with you till we meet again my friend.

Amen

-Eric

Always count your blessings.

http://s939.photobucket.com/albums/a...1.jpg&newest=1

Old 04-23-2012, 01:46 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skins7ny View Post
agree.. too big for corners, too fast (hopefully) for lb's and most safeties.

the idea is to create physical mismatches

Old 04-23-2012, 03:35 PM
Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSkin View Post
A rapid-tempo offense with the deep threat always a possibility will have many defenses gasping to catch their breath. Not to mention the running lanes that will be opened up for Helu, Royster and Hightower.
+1. bingo. Plus RGIII has rare speed for a QB. I'm hoping he doesn't have to use it but a couple long runs will force teams to attach a "spy" to RGIII.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:02 AM
Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guess88 View Post
Paul said they want him playing at 238 max and that 234 is a more natural weight for him.
That's good to know and I suppose is more the trend for receiving TE's now. Considering the additions on Garcon and Morgan, it's probably his best shot at playing time. Here's hoping it works out for everyone.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:06 AM
Code Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
Be very careful if you see Jose Canseco or Barry Bonds hanging around him.

He just might have that 20+ lbs before next week.

In Loving Memory, Natalie Paige Ezeanya
7.6.1991-1.2.2008

God watch over you and your loved ones. i think it is a wonderful thing that you do to honor your baby's memory. thank you for allowing me to share a little bit of love for her as well.
-Anonymous

Old 04-25-2012, 03:05 PM
Chief

He may be back,but he ain't wearing 10 if he returns.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...FIhT_blog.html

Forgiveness is the fragrance the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it."
—Mark Twain

“If you want to walk the heavenly streets of gold, you gotta know the password, “Roll, Tide, Roll!”

Paul"Bear"Bryant

Old 04-25-2012, 03:34 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGREDSKINSFAN1963 View Post
He may be back,but he ain't wearing 10 if he returns.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...FIhT_blog.html
so, how is it that RGIII has ALREADY said he would wear #10 ?? they cant take it away from Gaffney and it didnt sound like anyone was aware of how it would become RGIII's number if Gaffney stays ??

Old 04-25-2012, 03:53 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shally View Post
so, how is it that RGIII has ALREADY said he would wear #10 ?? they cant take it away from Gaffney and it didnt sound like anyone was aware of how it would become RGIII's number if Gaffney stays ??
why can't they take it away? This has always been an honor among thieves type of situation. The equipment manager is an employee for the team and he hands out numbers. Usually the player coming in with the big contract pays something to the other player so he does not look like an ass. And that might happen here as well.

http://www.hailredskins.com/vbforum/...light=shanahan

Old 04-25-2012, 04:29 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYSkinFan View Post
why can't they take it away? This has always been an honor among thieves type of situation. The equipment manager is an employee for the team and he hands out numbers. Usually the player coming in with the big contract pays something to the other player so he does not look like an ass. And that might happen here as well.
i cannot think of a WORSE way for RGIII to introduce himself to his teammates than by doing that.. it would be totally out of character with everything he has said and done to this point.. buy it ?? sure.. but demand it, or take it outright ?? not gonna happen...

Old 04-25-2012, 04:36 PM
Runner

Quote:
i cannot think of a WORSE way for RGIII to introduce himself to his teammates than by doing that.. it would be totally out of character with everything he has said and done to this point.. buy it ?? sure.. but demand it, or take it outright ?? not gonna happen...
I would imagine Gaffney would be ok with giving him the number. Its only his to give if hes on the team. And cutting Gaffney can never be considered done as a malicious thing to get his number with drafting Hankerson last year and the WR signings this year.

A veteran WR already on the roster? Moss has burned Dallas more than Gaffney as a Redskin. Easy choice to keep him if they just need a reason to laugh at someone crying about the number 10. (not trying to make this into a Moss vs Gaffney thing)

Old 04-25-2012, 06:24 PM
hR Owner

Quote:
It's already been done by the fact he said he'll wear #10. Chances are this was taken care of already.

A guy you spent to 1st rounds picks and a 2nd round pick on wears a number. The number is worn by a journeyman receiver. Hmmm, who do I give that number to? Let me think.