Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

the Kirk Cousins pick and RGIII
Old 04-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Brave

Default the Kirk Cousins pick and RGIII

Back in 1993 I had a brand new Mustang GT last of the Fox bodies, last of those awesome ground effects skirts, and two tone paint (electric blue and metalic grey, thanks for asking), so one day my Uncle moving to a foreign country gives us his 65 Fastback (keep in mind no where near the crazy values of today, this is pre-Elenor Gone in 60 seconds values but still a serious collectors car) needed a ton of work but still an incredible car. Where the hell am I going to park this? How am I going to afford the resto? Do I really want to pay the insurance and property taxes on TWO ponys? Well I wasn't about to let one of my non-mustanger relatives have it, so I told myself: "I'll figure all that crap out later".

I think they told themselves the same thing when they picked Cousins. Cousins was basically the same deal, a value the Skins didn't expect to find sitting there in the 4th, the BPA on their board that they were probably surprised was still their when they picked in the 3rd, and told themselves they would have to consider taking him if he was still there in the 4th, knowing (or believing) he would be gone by then removing their conundrum. I wouldn't be surprised if they even said "we'll figure all that crap out later". So in that sense I can see why they made the pick.

Still I can't help but think the pick was a mistake strategically. If RGIII doesn't work out Shanahan wont in all likelihood get anything out of Cousins, because he'll be fired under the premise that Griffin might develop with a different coach.

If RGIII does work out quickly then the Cousins pick was a wasted opportunity to put skilled depth around him.

If RGIII struggles and Cousins joins the long list of backups that impatient skins fans manage to turn into a QB controversy, then the Shanahans have no one but themselves to blame for the stupidity that ensues.

The one good thing about Rex as a backup is that he will never be a QB controversy after last year... He could only ever be a "temporary stop gap" until RGIII develops more or gets past a hypothetical injury. Cousin's on the other hand...

And maybe it's my neurotic Skins fan Pavlovian dog reaction, but the parallels between this and Heath Shuler/Gus Ferrotte make me cringe. BEFORE we drafted Cousins I was ready to write a post entitled:
"No matter what, no one boos RGIII" and draw parallels between the near idiotic amount of expectations put on Shuler, and the ones that are currently building up around RGIII. Now the situation is just scary with a QB prospect in Cousins that has more potential than Gus ever did.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:44 AM
Ghost Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 goes 50 gut View Post
Back in 1993 I had a brand new Mustang GT last of the Fox bodies, last of those awesome ground effects skirts, and two tone paint (electric blue and metalic grey, thanks for asking), so one day my Uncle moving to a foreign country gives us his 65 Fastback (keep in mind no where near the crazy values of today, this is pre-Elenor Gone in 60 seconds values but still a serious collectors car) needed a ton of work but still an incredible car. Where the hell am I going to park this? How am I going to afford the resto? Do I really want to pay the insurance and property taxes on TWO ponys? Well I wasn't about to let one of my non-mustanger relatives have it, so I told myself: "I'll figure all that crap out later".

I think they told themselves the same thing when they picked Cousins. Cousins was basically the same deal, a value the Skins didn't expect to find sitting there in the 4th, the BPA on their board that they were probably surprised was still their when they picked in the 3rd, and told themselves they would have to consider taking him if he was still there in the 4th, knowing (or believing) he would be gone by then removing their conundrum. I wouldn't be surprised if they even said "we'll figure all that crap out later". So in that sense I can see why they made the pick.

Still I can't help but think the pick was a mistake strategically. If RGIII doesn't work out Shanahan wont in all likelihood get anything out of Cousins, because he'll be fired under the premise that Griffin might develop with a different coach.

If RGIII does work out quickly then the Cousins pick was a wasted opportunity to put skilled depth around him.

If RGIII struggles and Cousins joins the long list of backups that impatient skins fans manage to turn into a QB controversy, then the Shanahans have no one but themselves to blame for the stupidity that ensues.

The one good thing about Rex as a backup is that he will never be a QB controversy after last year... He could only ever be a "temporary stop gap" until RGIII develops more or gets past a hypothetical injury. Cousin's on the other hand...

And maybe it's my neurotic Skins fan Pavlovian dog reaction, but the parallels between this and Heath Shuler/Gus Ferrotte make me cringe. BEFORE we drafted Cousins I was ready to write a post entitled:
"No matter what, no one boos RGIII" and draw parallels between the near idiotic amount of expectations put on Shuler, and the ones that are currently building up around RGIII. Now the situation is just scary with a QB prospect in Cousins that has more potential than Gus ever did.
I would be VERY careful about making those types of parallels. If the only parallel you can make is there was a highly drafted prospect and a low drafted one, then I think we can safely back away from the comparisons. As long as Griffin doesn't play like Shuler, his back-up will remain a back-up. That should be all that matters.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:11 PM
Chief

Rather have rg3 and cousins than grossman and beck any day!This is just a smart move,why can't people see that?

But as sure as God made black and white what's done in the dark will be brought to the light"

“If you want to walk the heavenly streets of gold, you gotta know the password, “Roll, Tide, Roll!”

Paul"Bear"Bryant

Old 04-29-2012, 12:14 PM
Ghost Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk157 View Post
I would be VERY careful about making those types of parallels. If the only parallel you can make is there was a highly drafted prospect and a low drafted one, then I think we can safely back away from the comparisons. As long as Griffin doesn't play like Shuler, his back-up will remain a back-up. That should be all that matters.
Agreed. The real question is that time will tell if RGIII is a boom or a bust. The only reason that I am so high on him is that his track record shows nothing but improved development, and it was scary watching him shred defenses last year. This didn't happen by accident. It was the byproduct of intense preparation. I am very confident that he will master the playbook in record time, master his footwork and technique issues, and deliver the results that are expected of him.

At the very least, we will see a competent QB under center this season, which is far better than the purgatory we have had to endure over the past 20 years. But I won't be in the least bit surprised if we see 3-4 jaw-dropping performances next year as well.

If RGIII doesn't pan out, I will gladly eat a pile of crow.

- Oddball

Old 04-29-2012, 12:20 PM
Sentinel

Quote:

Being a "car guy", I liked your story. So...how did that '65 fastback ultimately work out for you?

I have no problem with the drafting of Cousins. Hopefully, he will ride the pine and never be needed, but history in the league indicates that day will come and when it does, I think we will all be grateful for the "planning".

I think Griffin has the skill, ability and confidence to deal with pretty much anything. I've seen Heath Schuler and he is no Heath Schuler.

History also shows that anyone else they may have drafted in the 4th round would only have about a 50% chance of actually being a significant contributor sometime in the next couple of years.

If we have to deal with "thin" depth at a couple of positions, I would rather it never again be at quarterback. The timing may have been a little unusual, but I fully support the concept.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:20 PM
Hunter

Cousins will be a solid backup. As a former team leader he will provide good competition to RG3 in camp. Also i feel that coming into a new system with someone else enhances the learning process, especially when the person you learn with has great intelligence and intangibles too. I see RG3 being boosted even greater with Cousins as his backup.

I must say if Cousins was secretly evil and planned ways to undermine RG3 it would make for a great movie script.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:56 PM
Great Spirit

Quote:
I think RGIII will be given every chance to prove he's a worthy starter - i.e. starting just about every game he's physically capable of starting the next two seasons. If Cousins is a step-up from Grossman (and I don't know how he couldn't be) I like having a superior back-up if RGIII misses time with injury.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:03 PM

We've invested wayyyyyyy too much into Griffin to think that the drafting of Kirk Cousins may cause a QB controversy early on. Like mentioned before, we needed depth at QB as well as every other position on the team, so why not address it? The QB position is such a delicate one to discuss.

~R.I.P Sean Taylor 1983-2007~

Old 04-29-2012, 02:05 PM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyNRedskinsfan View Post
We've invested wayyyyyyy too much into Griffin to think that the drafting of Kirk Cousins may cause a QB controversy early on. Like mentioned before, we needed depth at QB as well as every other position on the team, so why not address it? The QB position is such a delicate one to discuss.
This is what I meant to write. Very well-said.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:07 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images...jpg?1333470292

Just sayin....

Old 04-29-2012, 02:08 PM
Ghost Dancer

Quote:
As long as Shanny says there isn't a controversy, then there isn't a controversy. Shanny made it very clear that Cousins role is as a backup, and that's all. That said, Cousins will get pushed to prove himself or he will be gone in lieu of another backup.

If RGIII pulls up with a hammy, turf toe, plantar fasciitis or worse, I want to see a very good backup in place. We know what Rex brings to the table.

- Oddball

Old 04-29-2012, 02:13 PM
Shaman

Quote:
Kind of agree, reminds of when the 'pukes took aikman/walsh in the same draft and i dont remember that team being world beaters either.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:15 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasSkinsFan View Post
Kind of agree, reminds of when the 'pukes took aikman/walsh in the same draft and i dont remember that team being world beaters either.
Walsh was only there two years in Dallas after Aikman established himself.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:16 PM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhhorus View Post
If RGIII is as mediocre as either of those QBs the back-up doesn't make a lick of difference, as we are officially screwed.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:18 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_junior View Post
If RGIII is as mediocre as either of those QBs the back-up doesn't make a lick of difference, as we are officially screwed.
I completely agree, and having Cousins--even if he's as good as we hope RG3 could be--is still a net negative