Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Old 05-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Ghost Dancer

"Griffin runs. QBs who run get hurt. Our backup is Grossman. If Grossman plays we lose. I really like Cousins and he's still on the board. Let's get that backup QB nailed down and who knows, maybe we can get a pick for him in a few years."

Pretty sure this is what Shanny was thinking.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:21 PM
hR Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYSkinFan View Post
I think some people are just reflexively defending Shanahan here. I think you can hate the pick but still approve of the draft (which I do).

Cousins was a luxury we could not afford right now.
Imagine if Snyderatto had dealt away 3 firsts and a second for Matt Ryan in 2008, then drafted John David Booty in the high 4th. What would the reaction be?

Old 05-01-2012, 12:24 PM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspring View Post
Cousins may not be nearly the physical specimen, but he ran a pro style offense which should have prepared him better.
Meh. Look at what he did when he faced the better defenses on their schedule. Running a pro style system isn't enough to overcome physical shortcomings.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:28 PM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhhorus View Post
Imagine if Snyderatto had dealt away 3 firsts and a second for Matt Ryan in 2008, then drafted John David Booty in the high 4th. What would the reaction be?
I wouldn't have waited until the fourth round. I'd have burned Redskins Park to the ground for moving that many picks to acquire Matt Ryan.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
I think some people are just reflexively defending Shanahan here. I think you can hate the pick but still approve of the draft (which I do). as bigredskinsfan1963 keeps posting there is no shortage of analysis out there who hat the Cousins pick for us. On its own it might be an ok pick. And if it we only took RGIII in the first round without having to trade up for him, it would be a head scratcher but not a big deal.

However the fact is though qb is the most important position, it is also a one man job. When people talk about wanting depth at qb its because they are a playoff team whio want an option if there guy goes down for 2-3 games and their season is not sunk. And in that case you are talking about a vet ready to go if the guy comes in, not a rookie who is going to eb 3rd string.

Also the trade away for a higher pick thing just does not hold water to me. That is like buying a comic book hoping to seell it later for more money, it just does not work out that way 90% of the time.

I would have preferred another OL here allowing us to spend a later pick at TE, S, or CB still positions of need

we took 3 OL players in the draft.. Shanahan said it was the guys they wanted.. not sure if criticism is valid at this point.. you would have preferred another player ?? fine.. let's see how these guys pan out before you can say you were right

Old 05-01-2012, 02:03 PM
Shaman

I've been on the Cousins bandwagon for months, so when they actually selected him I was pretty excited. RG3 and him can learn together, he'll provide valuable clip board holding skills, he spelled the end of John Beck, and possibly Rex in a year or two...and if he's any good, perhaps holds future value.

I'm no expert, but I was not upset or disappointed with his selection one bit. Cousins is a gamer and if, God forbid, RG3 goes down, I think he'll definitely be able to provide competent play from the backup spot.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:05 PM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by shally View Post
we took 3 OL players in the draft.. Shanahan said it was the guys they wanted.. not sure if criticism is valid at this point.. you would have preferred another player ?? fine.. let's see how these guys pan out before you can say you were right
Whether it is positive or negative, anybody who claims they know how well an NFL team drafted in early May is kidding themselves.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:28 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_junior View Post
Whether it is positive or negative, anybody who claims they know how well an NFL team drafted in early May is kidding themselves.
true.. additionally, even most pro teams dont know how well they did until a draft class is about 2-3 years old

Old 05-01-2012, 02:48 PM
Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_junior View Post
I'm pretty sure the Redskins knew fairly early into May'08 that their drafting from April'08 sucked. lol

Cousins pick debated by Skip Bayless, Steven A. Smith, and Eric Mangini
Old 05-01-2012, 03:05 PM
Warrior

Default Cousins pick debated by Skip Bayless, Steven A. Smith, and Eric Mangini

This almost deserves it's own thread.

Good debate, but I think Bayless is way off base with his "more pressure on RGIII because he is a black QB, Cousins is white, and the majority of the season ticket fan base is white".

I mean, c'mon man?
We embraced Doug Williams and Donovan McNabb (before he sucked).
We rag on Grossman and can't wait to have RGIII replace him.
I think we're way beyond the George Preston Marshall days when he would not use black players.

Yeah race issues exist in this country and in our area. But not on the football field.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/sto...head-scratcher

Old 05-01-2012, 03:19 PM
Shaman

Its Skip Bayless. His entire job consists of saying the most edgy, controversial, and often, purely ridiculous things while looking like a total tool. I'd say he does a pretty good job at it. What else would you expect from that guy?

He's really not an expert or a good analyst on anything. He's there solely to get peoples attention, as far as I can tell.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Healer

Quote:
I think some people are just reflexively defending Shanahan here.
I think this street goes both ways. I have no stake in Shannahan, he's simply a man who happens to coach the team I root for and I hope he does a good job at it. If he doesn't then he gets criticised but I'm not chomping at the bit to pre-emptivly defend him.

Quote:
I think you can hate the pick but still approve of the draft (which I do). as bigredskinsfan1963 keeps posting there is no shortage of analysis out there who hat the Cousins pick for us. On its own it might be an ok pick. And if it we only took RGIII in the first round without having to trade up for him, it would be a head scratcher but not a big deal.
That's reasonable but I think it's also reasonable to think that Cousins improves the team (maybe solely by removing Beck, whatever it takes...next up, Reed).

Quote:
However the fact is though qb is the most important position, it is also a one man job. When people talk about wanting depth at qb its because they are a playoff team whio want an option if there guy goes down for 2-3 games and their season is not sunk. And in that case you are talking about a vet ready to go if the guy comes in, not a rookie who is going to eb 3rd string.
It's not a one man job, the exception to the rule is a starting QB playing an entire season. Whether or not the team is playoff bound, I would prefer my team to have some competency in the back-up ranks. That's the definition of depth, and is a welcome change from just having placeholders around to fill out a roster. Every year backups make or break a team (see Houston and Chicago last year) and i think it's way premature to assume the Skins can't be in the mix for the post-season.

Quote:
Also the trade away for a higher pick thing just does not hold water to me. That is like buying a comic book hoping to seell it later for more money, it just does not work out that way 90% of the time.
That's a rider attached to a contract,not the meat of it. The fact is that young QB's have intrinsic value if they show anything at all. Worst case scenario he's a statistical norm who doesn't pan out. Best case scenario he's got value as a player to this team either on the field or in compensation. Look at how many bad QB's carve out 8-10 year careers bouncing around.

Quote:
None of these guys have played an NFL game.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Medicine Man

Quote:
I think some people are just reflexively defending Shanahan here.
I'm not in that category.

If Cousins was the 3rd ranked QB on my list and was available in the 4th I honestly would've made the same decision. Even after investing so much in RGIII, a 4th round "plan B/insurance" is not that much of a price to pay for the "next best thing."

Old 05-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskinfan View Post
This almost deserves it's own thread.

Good debate, but I think Bayless is way off base with his "more pressure on RGIII because he is a black QB, Cousins is white, and the majority of the season ticket fan base is white".

I mean, c'mon man?
We embraced Doug Williams and Donovan McNabb (before he sucked).
We rag on Grossman and can't wait to have RGIII replace him.
I think we're way beyond the George Preston Marshall days when he would not use black players.

Yeah race issues exist in this country and in our area. But not on the football field.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/sto...head-scratcher
I believe racism does exist in the NFL but I think Skip is off base here. Anybody who trades for what we gave up would have pressure placed on him. But not because he's black IMO

May the LORD watch between me and thee, while we're abscent from one another....
May his peace be with you till we meet again my friend.

Amen

-Eric

Always count your blessings.

http://s939.photobucket.com/albums/a...1.jpg&newest=1

Old 05-01-2012, 04:14 PM
Moderator / 3 PEAT [2010-2011-2012] hR Fantasy NBA Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinfanjon View Post
"Griffin runs. QBs who run get hurt. Our backup is Grossman. If Grossman plays we lose. I really like Cousins and he's still on the board. Let's get that backup QB nailed down and who knows, maybe we can get a pick for him in a few years."

Pretty sure this is what Shanny was thinking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shally View Post
I agree with you both. Are we a playoff team this year? Nope. Do we need a QB to take over as back up to Rex after next year? Yep. Does it make sense to bring our starter and back up in at the same time, to learn together and be set going forward after this season? Imo yes it does. We took 3 OL, we took a couple of DB's, we got a decent LB, we have some intriguing UDFA's at spots where we need depth. Dont most of the people complaining about this also generally prescribe to the BPA draft philosophy? If so then thats what we did. If we arent a playoff team what difference does it make this year? Its one less worry for next year and hopefully the next 3 years minimum.Overall I liked our draft, maybe there was someone at OL, TE, S or LB that would have had more of an impact this year but most likely anyone picked there would be a back up or developmental player, I like the pick.

"After three or four, in the huddle I said to Russ, 'Play along with me,' " Bostic said. "I got to the line, and I said to Randy White, 'Our coaching staff loves you. We're going to run it over you again.' Then on the next play Russ told him. Randy wasn't very happy, but after three or four times, he didn't say a word."