Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hailRedskins.com Fan Forums > the Cherokee Redskins Tribe

Mike Shanahan interview
Old 05-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Great Spirit

Default Mike Shanahan interview

He did about 30 minutes with reporters today. Here are early quotes that made it to media twitter feeds:

RGIII:
-"He's the starter. Period."
-says Redskins will play Griffin w the first team when the full team kicks off -0OTAs.
-"He can do some things that I believe nobody has done."
-"He's a natural thrower and has great mechanics"
-says that Robert Griffin III is ahead of schedule as far as picking up the playbook.
-said rg3 didn't have one bust of formation/plays. Says he doesn't ever remember seeing that in a rook minicamp.

-Griffin & Crompton will divide 1st team reps 80/20. Rex & Cousins will split 2nd team reps 50/50. Rex will have to beat out Kirk.
-says he didn't decide to put RG3 with first team based on this weekend. Cited that he was picked 2nd, what they gave up, and the plan.

-says Santana Moss is in great shape, 15 pounds lighter. Says best shape he's seen. Cooley doing great.

-Shanahan: It's highly unlikely Pierre Garcon will play in the slot. Morgan and Hankerson are stronger candidates.

-Niles Paul has made a smooth transition to TE. He's 235 pounds and still running a 4.5.

-said leribeus looked like he had played center his whole career.

-reports that the team has used indoor practice facilities 7 times already. "The guys look forward to it in there."

Old 05-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_junior View Post
He did about 30 minutes with reporters today. Here are early quotes that made it to media twitter feeds:

RGIII:
-says Redskins will play Griffin w the first team when the full team kicks off -0OTAs.
-says that Robert Griffin III is ahead of schedule as far as picking up the playbook.
-said rg3 didn't have one bust of formation/plays. Says he doesn't ever remember seeing that in a rook minicamp.

-Griffin & Crompton will divide 1st team reps 80/20. Rex & Cousins will split 2nd team reps 50/50. Rex will have to beat out Kirk.
-says he didn't decide to put RG3 with first team based on this weekend. Cited that he was picked 2nd, what they gave up, and the plan.

-says Santana Moss is in great shape, 15 pounds lighter. Says best shape he's seen. Cooley doing great.

-Shanahan: It's highly unlikely Pierre Garcon will play in the slot. Morgan and Hankerson are stronger candidates.

-Niles Paul has made a smooth transition to TE. He's 235 pounds and still running a 4.5.

-reports that the team has used indoor practice facilities 7 times already. "The guys look forward to it in there."
Good news. Hopefully there will be a link to both the Shannahan and RGIII pressers. Good news about Paul, Cooley & Moss.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Ghost Dancer

thanks for the update, good info

Old 05-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Ghost Dancer

Quote:

RGIII:

that's good news. Picking up the playbook and being able to execute is really the only question I have for RGIII.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:04 PM
Great Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk157 View Post
that's good news. Picking up the playbook and being able to execute is really the only question I have for RGIII.
This was what stood out for me as well. I don't think anybody is worried about him physically, so the quicker he's comfortable with formations/reading defenses/etc., the quicker he stops having to think and can just play.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Chief

I'm really glad they put this to rest early. If Rex can't win the second spot, I don't see why he would be kept at all.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Great Spirit

Shanny: "We’re going to adjust our system to what [RG3] feels comfortable with."

https://twitter.com/#!/Rich_Tandler/...10597194280960

Old 05-06-2012, 03:18 PM
Sentinel

Quote:
Shanny: "We’re going to adjust our system to what [RG3] feels comfortable with."

https://twitter.com/#!/Rich_Tandler/status/199210597194280960
Wait...what?

Old 05-06-2012, 03:36 PM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
I'm really glad they put this to rest early. If Rex can't win the second spot, I don't see why he would be kept at all.
I Don't see why they just don't cut him anyway!? he's never gonna improve and i'd rather have somebody that has the capacity to learn and get better than the human turnover machine!

I Just hope all the stuff shanny said was'nt just BS like it was last year with grossman and beck and that basing their reputation *hit!!!!!

Forgiveness is the fragrance the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it."
—Mark Twain

“If you want to walk the heavenly streets of gold, you gotta know the password, “Roll, Tide, Roll!”

Paul"Bear"Bryant

Old 05-06-2012, 04:00 PM
Chief

Shanahan saying all the right things:

Quote:
"Any time you pick a player with the second pick of the draft and you give up another two No. 1's and No. 2 and you move up four spots, you've got a gameplan in mind," Shanahan said. "We're going to adjust our system to what he feels comfortable with, and we'll watch him grow, and we'll do what we feel like he does the best."
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...190105151.html

Interesting comments coming from a guy with a reputation for a lack of flexibility. These types of comments should go without saying IMO but then again you have guys like Al Saunders who strangely refuse to change their offense based on the personnel they have.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:17 PM
Healer

Good move. I especially like this quote by Shanny:

"He's great. You can see what an incredible athlete he is," Shanahan said of Griffin. "I was impressed with the first day. He didn't have one bust on a formation or a play call, and I've never had that in all the minicamps I've been involved with."

I also like the fact that he plans to have RGIII an Crompton working against the 2nd defense, while Rex/Cousins face the 1st team defense. Cousins will be given the opportunity to win the #2 spot under pressure. If he does, Rex is relegated to #3. If he whines, cut him. Oh, just cut him anyway.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibleedburgundy View Post
Shanahan saying all the right things:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...190105151.html

Interesting comments coming from a guy with a reputation for a lack of flexibility. These types of comments should go without saying IMO but then again you have guys like Al Saunders who strangely refuse to change their offense based on the personnel they have.
He'd better say the right things and do them too. At this point, he and his sons entire reputation is on the line. He'd better let griffin do what he wants. Because if the fan base and media get the notion that they are not creating the system tha allows Griffin to do what he does best, then by by Sanford and son.

May the LORD watch between me and thee, while we're abscent from one another....
May his peace be with you till we meet again my friend.

Amen

-Eric

Always count your blessings.

http://s939.photobucket.com/albums/a...1.jpg&newest=1

Last edited by joethefan : 05-06-2012 at 04:27 PM.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:27 PM

said leribeus looked like he had played center his whole career.
IF this is truly the cast then I excited and maybe explains the pick.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Ghost Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethefan View Post
He'd better say the right things and do them too. At this point, he and his sons entire reputation is on the line. He'd better let griffin do what he wants. Because is the fan base and media get the notion that they are not creating the system tha allows Griffin to do what he does best, then by by Sanford and son.
+1 on the bolded part. Any coach can say the right things in this situation. Let's see if they can really tap RGIII's skills and turn him into a winner in the NFL.

I wouldn't go so far as to say "let RGIII do what he wants." He needs to learn the pro game and he will need a lot of guidance. But they definitely need to do everything possible to adapt the offense to his strengths.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:33 PM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinskins View Post
+1 on the bolded part. Any coach can say the right things in this situation. Let's see if they can really tap RGIII's skills and turn him into a winner in the NFL.

I wouldn't go so far as to say "let RGIII do what he wants." He needs to learn the pro game and he will need a lot of guidance. But they definitely need to do everything possible to adapt the offense to his strengths.
I'm basically saying that the shannys have no leverage here, so in other words if they try do do it their way, and it still doesn't work, knowing the skills griffin brings and dont use it, no one will blame griffin it'll be Fred and Lamont....lol

May the LORD watch between me and thee, while we're abscent from one another....
May his peace be with you till we meet again my friend.

Amen

-Eric

Always count your blessings.

http://s939.photobucket.com/albums/a...1.jpg&newest=1