Go Back   hailRedskins.com Fan Board > hR General Discussion Forums > Potomac hR Political Air Out

Ok this is getting out of hand
Old 02-05-2004, 08:52 AM
Sagamore

Default Ok this is getting out of hand

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...r_bowl_jackson

I mean some people in our country have a real weird sense of whats obscene and offensive. When I first saw the halftime show I could tell it was staged and laughed it off because it was another sad attempt by a celebrity to get attention. (ala Britney and Maddona kissing).

What I have find sad is that there are shows on TV that are ultra violent and although I love most of them, it take a lousy boob to outrage people? I dont know this just seems well stupid to me. I kow some people will say that their families were watching the superbowl but really its not like they had sex on stage. I guess I am just sick of how screwed morals are these days.

Old 02-05-2004, 10:00 AM

Location: Lawn Guyland, NY (my heart will always be in Arlington, Va)

If you're sick of how screwed morals are, I'd think you'd care a little more. Yes, there are violent and obscene shows on t.v. but parents know what those shows are and when those shows are on. This was the Super Bowl, not NYPD Blue. There is a level of responsibility by the people who put these events on the censor the material to suit the viewers.

Old 02-05-2004, 10:03 AM
Sagamore

Yoour missing my point..I am not saying what they did is right...what I am sick of his how some of the stuff shown on TV...and I am even talking cartoons geared toward children are worse then an 1 second flash of boob. Yet everyone gets outraged and makes a big stink about it.

Old 02-05-2004, 10:14 AM

Location: Lawn Guyland, NY (my heart will always be in Arlington, Va)

I think it was because of the exposure the Super Bowl gets (pun intended).

Old 02-05-2004, 10:19 AM
Great Spirit

It was on public television with no warning. You can't have naked body parts on public television without some form of parental notice about the content. NYPD Blue does, yes, but prior to each show there is a disclosure and a warning for parents abou that content.

As a parent I can see how other parents with children in an impressionable age group would be concerned with what transpired.
A buffalo herd can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo & those are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole because the health of the herd keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. Similarly, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Intake of alcohol, killing the slowest & weakest brain cells first, makes the brain a faster, more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

Old 02-05-2004, 10:28 AM
Sagamore

You know what...this probably belongs in the Politcal forum...let me move it.

Old 02-05-2004, 11:01 AM
Ghost Dancer

I liked David Letterman's comment the other night. He said

"Janet Jackson pretended to apologize to all of the people who pretended to be offended."
"We the People, of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

Preamble - United States Constitution

Old 02-05-2004, 11:03 AM
Sagamore

I agree Mike..its just getting out of hand. This country puts more focus on Nudity then it does on violence. Which is the exact oppisite of alot of other countries. I thought this would be a good discussion.

Old 02-05-2004, 11:18 AM
Healer

I've not wathced the SB yet but i've already seen the Boob incident. Okay it was not the place for it, but doing such a mess for that, pfff. People have paid more attention to it because they do such a buzz for that... this is stupid.
Bette r things should be done on gun control than on Boob control.

Old 02-05-2004, 11:39 AM
Great Spirit

It gives the self-appointed guardians of our morality another opportunity to wag their fingers and proclaim that only they can stand between America's children and an Armageddon of cultural rot. Oh, and by the way--vote for me if I'm running for office and send me half your paycheck if I'm running a TV ministry.

It was the wrong venue for such a display, but what did the NFL expect to get? You hire MTV, you get MTV. This exposed breast was on the screen for less than a second. They cut away so quickly I had to turn to the other people watching with me and ask if I'd really seen what I thought I had seen. Meanwhile, anyone who watches NFL games all year has seen an endless parade of commercials featuring half-naked models who tell you that if you buy Budweiser beer you can get them drunk and naked. And let's not forget the bevy of cheerleaders who are about one burst button away from an indecent exposure charge.

"We're shocked---SHOCKED--by this totally offensive display!"

Bite me, NFL. You've been using T&A to help sell your game to fans and advertisers for as long as I've been alive. Don't get all Silas Marner on me now.

Old 02-05-2004, 12:16 PM
Buck

All excellent points, Spence.

Old 02-05-2004, 02:10 PM
Sagamore

ME ThAnks Spence..me nOt spoke so wEll and jo put it munch butter than me

Old 02-05-2004, 08:07 PM
hR Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by Spence
It gives the self-appointed guardians of our morality another opportunity to wag their fingers and proclaim that only they can stand between America's children and an Armageddon of cultural rot. Oh, and by the way--vote for me if I'm running for office and send me half your paycheck if I'm running a TV ministry.

It was the wrong venue for such a display, but what did the NFL expect to get? You hire MTV, you get MTV. This exposed breast was on the screen for less than a second. They cut away so quickly I had to turn to the other people watching with me and ask if I'd really seen what I thought I had seen. Meanwhile, anyone who watches NFL games all year has seen an endless parade of commercials featuring half-naked models who tell you that if you buy Budweiser beer you can get them drunk and naked. And let's not forget the bevy of cheerleaders who are about one burst button away from an indecent exposure charge.

"We're shocked---SHOCKED--by this totally offensive display!"

Bite me, NFL. You've been using T&A to help sell your game to fans and advertisers for as long as I've been alive. Don't get all Silas Marner on me now.
That pretty much sums up my feelings.

What I marvel at is sheer number of replays of the incident that are plastered all over the news and other outlets. If it's so morally wrong and dispicable, STOP SHOWING IT!!!!!!

Old 02-05-2004, 08:18 PM
hR Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by rskinsfan10
That pretty much sums up my feelings.

What I marvel at is sheer number of replays of the incident that are plastered all over the news and other outlets. If it's so morally wrong and dispicable, STOP SHOWING IT!!!!!!
Darnit, that was my point as well. Well stated there ol chap.

Old 02-06-2004, 03:14 AM
Healer

Just a question: have you heard / seen the British Streaker (and he's not General Disorder) who entered the pitch just before 2nd half KickOff. Because as he entered on the pitch, CBS wednt large shooting from the roof. That is for me far more disturbing for the NFL as Reliant Stadium was supposed to be the safiest place in the world last sunday. The guy is very famous in Europe. He did it in european soccer final, on tennis games, rugby...